Kodski's DIY 20 long AIO

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Tomorrow marks my next step in my reefing journey. Currently I have a 9gal Fluval Flex setup as a nano. Its running an upgraded pump and a Kessil A80 light. Its a good looking tank, however, the stand it's sitting on is starting to swell from the water spills and I can see the top starting to bow. Before I end up with a disaster on my hands I needed to move the tank to a new, more sturdy stand. I knew as I built the stand I wanted two things. 1) A top large enough to work around the tank and set my tools/food. 2) A waterproof top that was easy to clean drips and spill from. I work for a quartz, granite, and marble countertop fabricator, so I knew instantly what the best choice for a top would be. So I ventured out back after work one day and found a few decent size scrap pieces of quartz and saved them from the garbage. Later on I decided on one piece that was quite a bit larger than I really needed but it so happens that I figured one day I may upgrade to a larger tank. So here is the stand all finished up.

Snapchat-1040033020.jpg

Once I completed the stand I had some electrical and trim work to finish up in the corner that the tank was getting moved to permanently. (I have a 93 gal marineland cube that I will be placing where the tank is currently. I can't wait to start that build and I will make sure I make a build thread for that as well.) Once everything was completed I got the stand shimmed level and used some silicone to secure the top to the stand. Last night I was planning out the move in my head and I realized then just how thin the glass on the fluval flex tanks are. (many issues with these tanks cracking or the bottom seal failing) My worst fear is to have a cracked tank. I was talking to my fiance about it and as a solution we decided that it would be best to move from that tank to another. After giving up on trying to convince her that it was time to take my 65 gal tank with sump out of storage, and then going down the list of a 40 breeder, 20 tal, 20 long, and a few 10 gallon tanks. At which point it dawned on me that I have one of two problems. A tank hording problem, or too many empty tanks problem. You decide lol She finally agreed to let me use my 20 gallon long. Which works great as that was technically what the stand was designed around from the beginning. I just didn't expect to move to a larger tank for another 6 months to a year.

Now the issue in my mind at this point, was, how do I set this up? I hate having filters and everything stuck to the back wall of the tank and out of the top. My tanks are located in my office/den so I definitely want them to look nice and be as quiet as possible. I didn't want to go though the hassle of doing a sump on a 20 gallon, so I landed on AIO. I love the fluval flex but you can tell its not optimized for a marine aquarium. So to Menards I went to look for some acrylic. All they had in the sizing I need was either smoked, or white. I decided on the white as I thought it matched the stand and didn't want any issues caused by the transparency. A few cuts here and there with a touch of silicone, I went to bed with a tank that looked like this.

Resized_20200416_220340.jpeg

The display ended up being about 14.2 gallons. The chambers are 4 inches deep. The plan is to make a media basket to hold filter floss, purigen, and carbon. The second chamber I made large enough to hold a nano skimmer or to use to grow some cheato. I'm leaning towards cheato currently.

This afternoon I spent a few hours getting a few more things ready. I knew I needed a screen top right away from a few hard lessons in the past. So I whipped one up out of some white screen frame and bird netting doubled up to make smaller holes. I then took another piece of acrylic and cut it to fit over the chamber section and added two slots for cords. To hide the chamber section from from view I asked my fiance to cut me some matte black vinyl with her cricut. The black/white theme is strong now, but I'm really liking it and I can't wait to see what it looks like with some white sand.

Resized_20200417_203349.jpeg

Resized_20200417_201114.jpeg

Resized_20200417_201121.jpeg

With that taken care of, I turned my thoughts towards light. My A80 which was just fine for my little 9gal fluval, was not going to work on this tank. The goal is to be able to thow any coral I would want into the tank and be able to care for it properly. I then remembered I had a light that came with my 93gal when I bought it. I had plans on throwing it out as I remembered it was pretty gross. To which I thought, its probably a diamond in the rough. I'm pretty dang handy so I thought I'd open it up and give it a good cleaning.

Resized_20200417_201704.jpeg

Resized_20200417_201853.jpeg

annnnddddd..... that's where I stopped. For two reasons. One, sick nasty. Two, its at this point that I realized its not dimmable and that I'd more than likely fry my corals with this light. I knew I'd need adjust ability. So back into the trash pile it went.

So that's where I'm at now. The tank is running a leak test behind me and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to light this bad boy for relatively cheap. I've been looking into a used AI Hydra 26HD or an Ocean Revive T247. The OR T247 is way too powerfull but I like the idea of mounting it up really high and not having to move it when I work in the tank. Plus its fully programmable which means I can turn it down so I don't fry my corals. Any other suggestions are welcome in this department. I'm hoping to come up with a light in the next few days. For the time being I'll be using my Kessil A360x which will be going over my 93gal cube with some T5's once that time comes.

I will move everything over from the other tank tomorrow morning, but I do have just a few more things to sort out before I'm able to do so. I need to drill a larger hole for the return plumbing, and I need to add another tooth to my overflow weir some how. I can get the water levels to balance out, but if a snail were to block one tooth, the pump would run dry. Which means my weir doesn't flow a large enough volume of water. I'd say by looking at it, the water level is about 3/4 the way up the teeth. So by the time the water level would rise enough to equalize the flow, the pump runs out of water. To make things worse, the pump I'm using for my leak test is less powerful than the pump I'm going to be using. So I'm not sure what I'll do to solve this, as taking a saw to it while its siliconed in is just asking for trouble. I'll sleep on it and figure something out.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice following along.

Have you considered a pair of primes. The 26HD is great but I prefer the move ability of two lights for the spread. Cheers and happy reefing.

I did consider a single AI Prime HD raised high up. Two just doesn't make sense financially. I can get a used Hydra for $250 pretty easily. Where a single prime is 3/4 that. Plus the display is only 25 inches and I intentionally kept coral placement away from the sides. So I can raise the light and turn the intensity up to get the spread and par I'm after. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do lighting wise but I am hoping to keep my budget around $250 or under for a new light. So we will see.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to finish up before the move I 3-d printed some 1/2" loc-line out of white PETG filament to help it blend into the white back wall. I need to dial in my settings for PETG as I really only use PLA. So I will be experimenting and making new parts with some better finish, but these work well for now. I used some rubber O-rings between the acrylic panel to keep water from getting around the fitting. The o-rings also prevent me from over tightening the fittings and cracking the acrylic. The fitting is just sitting in the hole in the picture, I tightened it down after I cut the tubing for the return pump to size.

Resized_20200418_210248.jpeg

I spent late last night getting everything from the old tank moved over. The move went well, but of course the tank was super cloudy last night. So no pictures. I didn't get the light hung until this afternoon so stuff still isn't open and my few corals were not placed just kinda thrown in until the water cleared up. But overall I'm very happy with how the scape turned out. I think it has lots of potential for coral placement. The right island I hope to turn into a Zoa island. I hope to have a few sps stick growing from the arch way out to fill up the water column a bit.

Resized_20200419_172431.jpeg

Resized_20200419_172439.jpeg

Resized_20200419_172523.jpeg

Stocking list:

Fish:
2x Half Naked Mocaccino Clowns
1x Purple Fire Fish
1x Emerald Crab
2x Nassarius Snail
1x Astraea Turbo Snail

Coral:
Hammer
GSP
Unknown Zoa's
A very uncooperative Rainbow BTA that I've been fighting with to get to open for months now
Mini Maxi Carpet Nem
A very Small unknown Mushroom
A once bleached and thought it recovered but now I believed is dead, monticap attached to a magnet.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some more loc-line parts printed up. I decided to print a bunch and test a bunch out. I had 3/8" RFG on my Flex and really liked them. So I printed and tried a 1/2" one, and it didn't seem to have any reach to the flow. Super wide pattern, but no reach. On the flex which was cubical, it worked great. Since this tank is much longer, I don't think it will work long term. I also wanted to add a Y-fitting to get some flow behind the rock work. Which meant half the flow through each side. I play with a few tonight, and settled on dual 1/2" x 1" x 1/4" fan ends. This seems to move everything fast enough, but also in multiple directions. I do think I'm going to try finding and printing a 1/2" to 1/4" or 3/8" Y-fitting to get a little more velocity out of the nozzles.
Resized_20200421_192158.jpeg

I also placed the corals rather than having them strewn about. Looks better now, minus my picture taking abilities. I'll need to get some practice at that. The A360x is much more difficult to get colors to show through on my phone. I'm thinking I'll have to buy a clip on filter or something. Next, I'm hoping to leave everything be for another few days to settle it. Then maybe this weekend I can find out if any LFS are open. Technically pet stores are allowed to operate in my state, but I'm not sure if they are or if there are some other restrictions keeping them closed. Any suggestions for adding another fish? I'm thinking maybe a goby and shrimp combo be cool in this tank. Lots of little caves for them to hide in.

Resized_20200421_193704.jpeg

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing great. Getting some diatoms on the sand bed. I'm thinking of adding a sand sifting goby or some sort. All the corals are happy, except my BTA which I just cannot seem to make happy. I took a trip to the LFS to get more salt for my weekly water change for tomorrow, and couldn't help but pick up two frags of zoa's to add to my one lonely frag. I got some Rasta's and a mixed frag with Sunrise Supernova's and I'm not sure what the others are. The didn't open fully before lights out, so I'm hoping to ID them tomorrow. My hammer is doing great, and my mini maxi carpet nem seems to get a little bigger each day. My purple fire fish seems to want to show her face a bit more each day too.

I also ordered a orphek clip on phone lens so that hopefully I can get some better pictures to share. That should be here next Friday.

Resized_20200425_212520.jpeg

Resized_20200425_212508.jpeg

Resized_20200425_212515.jpeg

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along because I'm thinking of doing something similar with a 20 gallon I was going to do a small planted tank with. Do you have any problems with noise in this setup? Anything you'd want to change on that front?

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along because I'm thinking of doing something similar with a 20 gallon I was going to do a small planted tank with. Do you have any problems with noise in this setup? Anything you'd want to change on that front?

Actually its completely silent as long as not too much water evaporates. This setup definitely needs an ato. But otherwise its great! I cant wait to get a refugium light and some cheato for the second chamber. Im thinking 4 cree leds would work just fine. 2 red and 2 blues. Any thoughts?

pmarsh44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice, I'm digging the aqua-scaping! Is this your first go around with GSP? If so just be sure to keep on top of trimming it or you'll have nothing but GSP in there before long.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice, I'm digging the aqua-scaping! Is this your first go around with GSP? If so just be sure to keep on top of trimming it or you'll have nothing but GSP in there before long.
Thank you!

Yes this is technically the second iteration of my first reef tank. So this is my first time with GSP. I've got it isolated on a rock for now. Im thinking about gluing it to the back wall though.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update

I've been battling the aftermath of zero nitrates and phosphates. Things are finally starting to turn around now. Been testing steadily at 2ppm nitrates and .25 ppm phosphates. I'm not working on lowering phosphates to be at .13ppm or lower.

At first I added some cheato and a freshwater led light set to opposite lighting schedule to the tank. Then I added a small HOB skimmer to the recommendation of my LFS owner. Who I will say is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. His skill and knowledge easily shows through in his store. The coral's he raises are just breathtaking. I then started a dosing schedule of Dr. Tim's refresh and waste away. This helped me to control the algae growth and the algae is now on its way out. A few more water changes combined with lowering my phosphates and I should have everything back to normal.

Two other things I've added which don't really attribute to the algae but have made a noticeable difference in the tank has been a Tunze 3152 ATO and the wifi dongle for the A360X. Since I've added both, I've finally seen some growth. My cloves have grown a new polyp about every 2 weeks now. My Zoa's are finally starting to multiply, with my Rasta's having 3 new nubs showing, along with another frag of zoa's also having three new polyps showing up.

For coral, I've added quite a few frags since my last update. In order, a nice sized frag of a campfire digi and green montipora. The green montipora lost its color after a few days, and as of last week has regained full color. The digi has noticeable growth since I've bought it. I also added a rockflower nem shortly after these two frags. Then a few days ago I also added another acro frag, some purple monster's zoa's, and a purple stylo. All three are on the sand bed aclimating to the light for the next week to avoid bleaching/lossing color as I fear that is how my green monti lost all of its color. I placed it fairly high and directly under my light right away without acclimation to the light. Luckily I moved it off to one side as soon as I noticed the color loss. My new acro frag I think was called San Francisco Tort, but honestly I forgot. So if someone could ID it for me that would be great. I'll try taking some better pictures tomorrow, but the tips are a nice cobalt blue with bright green base.

Two FTS before my three new frags. As you can see I have a few different types of algae but it was a heck of lot worse a few weeks ago. Also since these FTS, my cheato completely melted and I moved my skimmer to that section in the filter chambers so it is no longer in the display.
20200630_112313.jpg

20200630_112540.jpg

20200707_213421.jpg

20200707_213639.jpg
Resized_20200705_170246.jpeg
Resized_20200705_170226.jpeg
Resized_20200705_170215.jpeg

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, every pictures looks way more blue than what my phone shows it. I'm using the orphek lense kit, but I'll have to play around to get the colors to show up a bit better on camera.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time

Things are progressing very nicely in the tank. The Purple monsters have now grown to a total of 7 heads from two. My rasta's continue to pop out a few new heads every few weeks. I'm at 7 full heads, two little baby heads, and another nub starting to grow out. My cloves also continue to multiply. I can see visible growth on my acro, digi, and stylo. I also picked up a 3 head duncan frag. Its also doing very well. My monti cap that I thought I killed, actually came back and is starting to grow. My BTA that shriveled and I have since been waiting for it to die over the last 6-8 months, now seems to want to cling onto life and maybe even make a come back. The tank is really finding it's groove now.

Resized_20200808_151603.jpeg

Resized_20200808_151523.jpeg

Resized_20200808_151311.jpeg

Resized_20200808_151622.jpeg

Now for the bad news.. I have one zoa frag that has a bad case of blue cloves. Rather than trying to save these, I'm just going to toss it before it spreads too much. I also happen to have a rock that is covered in what I can only ID as hydroids. I'm going to toss this rock as well to avoid further spread and hopefully and infestation. But if that is the worst thing in the tank right now, I'll take it.

Things are going so well infact that I decided to step up my game a bit. So Finally, the most exciting bit of news. I picked this up today. ;Woot

Resized_20200815_192300.jpeg

A custom 72"x18"x30" tank. What I would call an "adequate" upgrade. :cool: The fiance deems it over excessive in size and volume. LOL (Insert, that's what she said joke)

It does need a bit of work, but the glass is in great shape and I only paid $180 for the tank. ;Wideyed It has a black aluminum trim top and bottom, thought the top was loose so its sitting behind the tank. The deal with the fiance is that the house remodeling gets done before the new tank gets setup, which is fine. I have to plan the equipment and purchase it all, along with build a stand yet. My goal is to have this new tank cycling rock by the end of October, so that any new equipment can be purchased on Black Friday to save a bit of money. This should hopefully give me enough time and motivate me to get my remodeling projects done.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. I have now started to order equipment and plan the new build, even started a build thread for it. The nano is doing pretty well. I battled hard with high phosphates for a couple of weeks that made a lot of my corals unhappy. Most have recovered but colors still haven't gotten back to 100%. Here are a few pictures.

20201129_210844.jpg

Resized_20201129_210115.jpeg

Resized_20201129_210328.jpeg

Resized_20201129_210121.jpeg

I also added two new frags to the tank. Picked both up for $25 each.

Resized_20201129_210252.jpeg

Resized_20201129_210134.jpeg

Resized_20201129_210142.jpeg

Resized_20201129_210423.jpeg

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up a few more frags for the tank.
As a Christmas gift to myself I picked up a bumblebee and PC Rainbow frag along with some red people eater zoas. Then my fiancé gifted me another acro, cherry bomb.

Bumblebee
Resized_20201219_111654.jpeg

PC Rainbow
Resized_20201219_111701.jpeg

Cherry Bomb
Resized_20210103_153340.jpeg

Then this past Monday we decided to check out a shop that's about an hour away. They had a bunch of corals I wish I could have came home with. Including some Aussie torches and a pink hammer coral that glowed pink. They also had a three different clams. Instead the fiancé found a nice frag of Aussie pink goniopora. She wasn't going to let me leave without it, so I forfeited a clam and torch in favor of that frag. If I could have afforded the Orange hammer I would have brought that home too. Maybe next time. I also threw a couple of other cheap frags in the bag while I was at it. A nice sized green digi frag, and a green monti cap frag as well. Then just when I thought we were done, my Fiancé found a frag of green clove polyps and somehow convinced me to get that as well. :rolleyes: Sadly I don't have any pictures of most of those frags and the lights are out, so I'll try to remember to take a few pictures tomorrow.

Aside from my new additions, everything is growing well. Minus my fireworks cloves. I just can't seem to find a place they like. They partially open where I have them now, so I think I'm going to just leave them there.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed a few quick pictures of the new additions along with a FTS. I'm currently battling some algea but its slowly getting better.

Attachments

• 20210121_180229.jpg
    20210121_180229.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210121_180203.jpg
    20210121_180203.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210121_180125.jpg
    20210121_180125.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210121_180107.jpg
    20210121_180107.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210121_180035.jpg
    20210121_180035.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Been a while since I've updated my thread.

Everything was doing great and growing out nicely. I added quite a bit more coral since the last update too. Then about a month and a half ago I started running into issues with RTN. I lost quite a few of my sps frags and almost lost my two hammers. I took everything out that I could and did an Lugol's (iodine) dip followed up by a coral RX dip and finally a clean SW rinse before going back into the tank. The next day I started dosing Microbacter 7 everyday for two weeks. I managed to stop loosing frags at this point. My tri-color hammer's mouth was just open skeleton by this point and I was starting to see skeleton on my green hammer too. I thought I'd loose them both for sure. Fast forward a few weeks and everything looks to be recovering. No more skeleton showing on the hammers, and I'm not loosing any more SPS. Though, my colony of Cali Tort lost most of it's tissue and color, its changed appearance at all since the dip. Which is good in a way, but I'm still unsure if I'll be able to nurse it back to health.

As for the cause of this, I don't really know for sure, but I do have an idea of what may have happened. I had 8.4, a product by Seachem on a doser that would dose a few times a day. For a small tank, my dose was less than 5mL per day. My doser, a cheap Jebao one, has a min. dose of 1mL per set time. Well, if there was any air bubble in the line, which would happen from time to time, the dose wasn't large enough to actually purge the air from the line, even if it was a small air bubble. This would mean fluctuating alk and PH. I believe this was the cause of my issues. As soon as I started loosing SPS I came up with this idea and just unplugged the doser all together and just let the tank stabalize for a few days while I dipped and tried to save what I could.

In short, its a big bummer loosing so many cool SPS frags, but it could have been worse. I don't have any full tank shots but here is a few pics of my lobo the other night and one of my few SPS left, Red Robin. Oh also, my stunning frag of pink montipora.

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back