Koi ponds

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the weather getting nicer I thought it would be cool to see how many fellow reefers have ponds. I don't have one personally but I do build and take care of a lot of them. Let see some of them and hear about them!

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koi ponds are so beautiful... These fish will probably outlive me...

FWIW, my LFS has some "holding tanks" in the back. I see the kids walk up and they scatter... If your slow & patient you can almost pet these fish like a dog. Pick one up and give it a kiss darn near. A great feeling... :)

caity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koi to the left (bottom) goldfish in the right (top) there's a creek that connects the two. I love my pond as much as my tank! So many birds come drink out of it (I also have 8 bird feeders too) and even dragon flies. My goldfish keep breeding so they must be happy. Coffee and sitting near my pond is my favorite way to start the day.

IMG_20160404_113446_33.jpg

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one (wish I had the space) but have had my hand in several builds when I worked for an Aquascape distributor. They can be quite amazing.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g pond, wife insisted it to be located under a tree... Any tips on re-doing it to have a return at the bottom that would suck up water/debris to a serviceable filterbox/filter?

florenceSC.nanoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7e2a5450df283f02226abaa149cbd4c4.jpg

Fishguywc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g pond, wife insisted it to be located under a tree... Any tips on re-doing it to have a return at the bottom that would suck up water/debris to a serviceable filterbox/filter?

What kind of filter system do you run? They do make bottom drains that attach to the overflow box if you have that kind of setup or you can add nets or brushes in the overflow to catch debris

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filter system do you run? They do make bottom drains that attach to the overflow box if you have that kind of setup or you can add nets or brushes in the overflow to catch debris

Had just a filter box on some rocks but clogged daily and didn't get maintained. We are going to redo the whole thing and extend it just wanted to do this right this time.

Salt

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to put a nice pond in our backyard, but so far my significant other doesn't seem too keen on the idea. I might just have to start digging a hole next time he is TDY (away) for work, which should be soon! haha!

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started building this pond just before winter last year. A second waterfall to a stream (from my filters) is going in on the right (the concrete blocks). The "pumphouse" is going to be a little model of a house with a dock (to hide the overflow), with the roof being hinged for easy access to the pumps and controls. My wife loves watching the tons of birds and animals that show up for a bath or drink already! :)

Cheers!

14634967945711690175385.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back