Koji Wada Pink Nephthea?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sam7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Actually mine just showed up, alive, and still warm. Tidal Gardens did a really nice job with packing. I was thinking that it was a bonehead move on my part to have shipped the week after Black Friday…but all is well. 😁
Post a pic in few days once its settled in if you get a chance
 
Very pretty
Here are a couple pictures of

Here are a couple pictures of how mine look.
Oh very nice coral ....if it wasnt the holidays id be all over it. Im strapped for cash for this year. Too many gifts to buy. Im sure they will sell fast on ebay
 
Post a pic in few days once its settled in if you get a chance

Here it is right now under blues and white lighting. It’s top front of the rack. The other 6 corals came with this order and are: top (left to right) - money tree Kenya tree, amber sea fan, koji wada pink nepthea; bottom - neon green pavona, beach bum montipora, green star polyps, purple pavona (freebie)

1764726004346.jpeg


1764726026079.jpeg
 
Super Nice! How long have you had that coral inside the sandbed? Never knew that was possible
I've had that piece for ~3 years. It has always been situated on a sand bed rock/island, but it has gone through a couple of crashes and barely made it through. First is learning that it does NOT do well with other leathers in the tank, particularly large toadstools. If I go >4 weeks without a carbon change, it starts to get droopy. At 6-7 weeks, it starts to melt and doesn't come back--I have to snip off pieces that are still firm and remount them with emergency carbon changes. Best to keep those leathers from hurting each other with regular carbon changes. Regularity should depend on the amount and size of your leathers, as far as I can tell.
 
Super Nice! How long have you had that coral inside the sandbed? Never knew that was possible
I've had that piece for ~3 years. It has always been situated on a sand bed rock/island, but it has gone through a couple of crashes and barely made it through. First is learning that it does NOT do well with other leathers in the tank, particularly large toadstools. If I go >4 weeks without a carbon change, it starts to get droopy. At 6-7 weeks, it starts to melt and doesn't come back--I have to snip off pieces that are still firm and remount them with emergency carbon changes. Best to keep those leathers from hurting each other with regular carbon changes. Regularity should depend on the amount and size of your leathers, as far as I can tell.
Wow that’s good to know about the carbon. I love my toadstools - probably my favorite coral.
 
Here it is right now under blues and white lighting. It’s top front of the rack. The other 6 corals came with this order and are: top (left to right) - money tree Kenya tree, amber sea fan, koji wada pink nepthea; bottom - neon green pavona, beach bum montipora, green star polyps, purple pavona (freebie)

1764726004346.jpeg


1764726026079.jpeg
wow thats quite a haul.....already looking good. Nice thanks for the pics
 
wow thats quite a haul.....already looking good. Nice thanks for the pics

Yeah pretty happy with them. I hate taking a day off to wait around for ups, so try to make it worthwhile. The nepthea was by far the most expensive. I love the look of the green pavona and beach bum monti too. I also really hope that I can keep a gorgonian alive for once.
 
Yeah pretty happy with them. I hate taking a day off to wait around for ups, so try to make it worthwhile. The nepthea was by far the most expensive. I love the look of the green pavona and beach bum monti too. I also really hope that I can keep a gorgonian alive for once.
I love mint potato chip pavonas. When they grow into a full size colony, they look amazing.

I also like putting a beach bum monti on a small rock in the sand and letting it kind of "plate" out. They look really cool.
 
Very pretty



Oh very nice coral ....if it wasnt the holidays id be all over it. Im strapped for cash for this year. Too many gifts to buy. Im sure they will sell fast on ebay
When ever you are ready let me know I have plenty and i can always cut one from the mother colony if i run out bro. Don't hesitate to reach out.
 
When ever you are ready let me know I have plenty and i can always cut one from the mother colony if i run out bro. Don't hesitate to reach out.
Will do thankyou
 
Why have I not looked into this leather before?

The Pink Nepthea? Difficult to say but I do know it was brought to attention, or maybe became more popular, by Koji Wada and the hobbyist in Japan. It also has a bit of mystic or allure similar to the ORA Pearlberry. At times one will say hey, look at my Koji Wada Pink Nepthea and hobbyist say no, no go. Or others will ask if this Pink Nepthea is a Koji Wada. Sort of funny - no disrespect.

I had a frag of it a few years back and it grew super quick. It started off slow but once I got the frag placed such that it had stronger water movement it took off like bamboo . I lost mine and never found out the root cause as it was sudden. I am starting to believe that it was carbon and gfo related and maybe my error in not rinsing it as well as I thought.

I will say that if you have a LFS or fellow hobbyist near you that carries it, worth your time to see in person. Electronic media / format does not do it justice. You really need to see the crisp colors in person preferably under natural lighting, not heavy windex blue. A healthy coral will have noticeable polyp extension.

It is truly is an underrated coral. If being honest is a good thing. Not pushing a vendor but Marine Farmers will offer frags. A bit of a premium but a good source never the less that also supports a small family business.
 
The Pink Nepthea? Difficult to say but I do know it was brought to attention, or maybe became more popular, by Koji Wada and the hobbyist in Japan. It also has a bit of mystic or allure similar to the ORA Pearlberry. At times one will say hey, look at my Koji Wada Pink Nepthea and hobbyist say no, no go. Or others will ask if this Pink Nepthea is a Koji Wada. Sort of funny - no disrespect.

I had a frag of it a few years back and it grew super quick. It started off slow but once I got the frag placed such that it had stronger water movement it took off like bamboo . I lost mine and never found out the root cause as it was sudden. I am starting to believe that it was carbon and gfo related and maybe my error in not rinsing it as well as I thought.

I will say that if you have a LFS or fellow hobbyist near you that carries it, worth your time to see in person. Electronic media / format does not do it justice. You really need to see the crisp colors in person preferably under natural lighting, not heavy windex blue. A healthy coral will have noticeable polyp extension.

It is truly is an underrated coral. If being honest is a good thing. Not pushing a vendor but Marine Farmers will offer frags. A bit of a premium but a good source never the less that also supports a small family business.
Awesome. Back in the day I had a pink colt coral (not sure if it’s classified under the same thing) that looked really similar that I haven’t seen in decades.

My LFS don’t carry it but I’ll keep an eye out.
 
Why have I not looked into this leather before?

The Pink Nepthea? Difficult to say but I do know it was brought to attention, or maybe became more popular, by Koji Wada and the hobbyist in Japan. It also has a bit of mystic or allure similar to the ORA Pearlberry. At times one will say hey, look at my Koji Wada Pink Nepthea and hobbyist say no, no go. Or others will ask if this Pink Nepthea is a Koji Wada. Sort of funny - no disrespect.

I had a frag of it a few years back and it grew super quick. It started off slow but once I got the frag placed such that it had stronger water movement it took off like bamboo . I lost mine and never found out the root cause as it was sudden. I am starting to believe that it was carbon and gfo related and maybe my error in not rinsing it as well as I thought.

I will say that if you have a LFS or fellow hobbyist near you that carries it, worth your time to see in person. Electronic media / format does not do it justice. You really need to see the crisp colors in person preferably under natural lighting, not heavy windex blue. A healthy coral will have noticeable polyp extension.

It is truly is an underrated coral. If being honest is a good thing. Not pushing a vendor but Marine Farmers will offer frags. A bit of a premium but a good source never the less that also supports a small family business.
You could have not explained it any better!!! I agree
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new