Kole tang color

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some blue'ish/purple'ish color kole tang and also some shade of reddish brown. All juv tang in LFS is lighter shade of brown. I read they change color as they grow.

I like the blue'ish one a lot more. I have not seen adult Kole tang for sale in LFS. Is there anyway to get the blue'ish color fish? Or i have 50-50 chance?

kole.PNG Kole2.PNG

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is more a deep purple More like the blue above.I think the spectrum of the lights or the white balance of the photo could be the issue.

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is more a deep purple More like the blue above.I think the spectrum of the lights or the white balance of the photo could be the issue.

I’ve had two over the years both turned purple blue as they age and the lines are are awesome

Thanks guys. I will get one of the juv. Hopefully the fish will turn to purple blue as they age.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that there's also a difference in the health and maturity of the two tangs in the OP. (In addition to the light spectrum, which is real.) The blue one is more mature, better established, thick and sleek. The red one's proportionally larger eyes suggest it's a younger fish, and its body condition could be better.

Mature kole tangs I've seen have had that blue-purple look to them.

~B.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back