Kole Tang Diet

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae problems are for the most part solved, and my kole tang wont take seaweed via clip. Ironically, he goes crazy for frozen mysis shrimp and will eat how many ever i give him. Is this a long term solution, or will he be missing a vital part of his herbivorous requirements?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried LRS Reef Frenzy frozen food? It contains meaty and seaweed foods. My kole tang loves it.

Check out the list of ingredients here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/reef-frenzy.html

0DC8C746-DA23-4DCB-8C16-FFA5ECA4AF9A.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried red algae? Many times my herbivores start with red or purple and then move on to green...

You can also try rubber banding some to a piece of rubble so it looks more “natural”.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the tangs in that genus don't go for nori. They really prefer film algae/slime/diatoms.

The rubberband and rock is a good idea. You could also try shredding it up and adding it to your cup of dissolved frozen food.

There are frozen herbivore foods like Formula 2. Pellets or flakes would be another thing to throw in the mix.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s right. Bristles are detritovites more than they are classic herbivores. As long as there’s some live rock for them to graze, I wouldn’t worry about it. All productive reef tanks will generate slime and film algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. The kole tang gets less attention than other tangs but it really is an elegant looking fish that not only looks good but keeps the rock looking its best. Also has a great personality and does not bother any of my other peaceful fish as long as they let him pick at detritus near their homes :D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back