Kole Tang sick

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hass anyone ever seen this in a fish? My fish's mid section is huge. Its been like this for since September (see picture where there's a lump), but its getting worse very slowly (he's now a lot thicker). I've switched to frozen foods and seaweed specific to fish (as opposed to buying it from a supermarket, although I didn't think that was the issue). He swims fine and eats great but there is obviously something going on.

IMG_0811.jpg

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be noted, that I don't want to take him out and treat for random stuff because I don't want to stress him out too much.

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seeing as though this has been going on since September and its now May thats roughly 8 months, could be a simple birth defect or tumor type issue (not sure if fish get tumors). If it was something really serious I wouldnt see him make it past september, I would say as long as he is eating and swimming ok leave him be, it does not appear to be anything bacteria based or a disease which is why im leaning to birth defect.

TDG112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U got any closer pics of it? It's not a worm or some type of internal parasite is it??

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has gotten worse (bigger) over time, but its been very slow, as you can tell from the timeline. I feel really bad for the poor fellow but I can't get a good answer on what it might be and so I can't really start any treatment or do anything. I'll try to take a picture and post it tonight. He is very active and continually is cleaning the glass and rocks as well as is the first to eat.

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I sat in front of my tank for an hour trying to get the best picture I could....here are a few of the better ones.

IMG_4522.jpg
IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4529.jpg
IMG_4480.jpg

The dark post closely resembles the same position the first picture is.

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pretty kole tang! I hope you find out whats wrong.

TDG112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont you think though after 8 months it would have killed the fish?

I had a pufferfish once with a nematode that lived for 2+yrs with a huge bulge like that that just kept getting worse and worse. It might have still been alive today but I felt really bad for it so unfortunately as much as I didn't want to i had to put it out of its misery.

TDG112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But now looking at the closer pics I defiantly don't think that's what's wrong with the tang. That is a beautiful Kole though

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your tangs? In my experience, I ave found the tangs need a lot of fresh greens to live long happy lives. Possibly yours has some blockage in his intestinal tract. Try increasing yur greens. Nori and brocoli works for my guys. Most of my tangs are 6 plus years old and they eat only Nori, brocolli and some frozen squid if they can steal it. Mostly fresh greens though. They wont live long term, longer than acouple of years if you dont.
[video=youtube;LUpFNQrebbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUpFNQrebbM[/video]
[video=youtube;bRl0j3_-puE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRl0j3_-puE[/video]

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back