Kole Tang Swim Bladder Issue

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

A few days ago I noticed my Kole Tang swimming nose down in my tank. I also noticed a small lump on both of its sides. I assumed this to be a swim bladder issue so I moved the Tang to a hospital tank. I did not see any injuries to the fish so my assumption was that it was perhaps a bacterial infection. The tang has been in the hospital tank for 1.5 days now and I have treated with some broad spectrum antibiotics, Seachem Kanaplex.

I checked this morning and I can see that the lump seems to be a little bit larger and the fish is upside down, but still breathing and swimming a bit.

1) Can anyone suggest any other treatments to try?

2) Is there anyway I can help the fish remain upright in the hospital tank? It just looks so uncomfortable.

thanks for any suggestions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, when a fish is upside down, that is termed moribund, close to death. There is often nothing that can be done at that point. If you post a short video, I might be able to assess it better.
Jay

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of.. the swelling seems worse than yesterday, and the medication hasn't seemed to help.

In the video (if you can view it) you can see his breathing is quite slow and you might be able to see the swelling of the bladder.

Attachments

• IMG_9406.MOV
    681.9 KB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of.. the swelling seems worse than yesterday, and the medication hasn't seemed to help.

In the video (if you can view it) you can see his breathing is quite slow and you might be able to see the swelling of the bladder.
Oh, the swelling that you are seeing are actually it’s ribs, they are showing because the fish is really thin. I’m afraid there just isn’t any way to bring a fish back from this.
Jay

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the swelling that you are seeing are actually it’s ribs, they are showing because the fish is really thin. I’m afraid there just isn’t any way to bring a fish back from this.
Jay
Thank you for taking a look Jay. I didnt realize that the tang is considered thin, the tank is fed once a day. I guess I'll take a look at the feeding regime.

Thanks again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for taking a look Jay. I didnt realize that the tang is considered thin, the tank is fed once a day. I guess I'll take a look at the feeding regime.

Thanks again.
I have almost two dozen tangs and they need minimum three feeding. Even with two, multiple feedings necessary. Consider an auto-feeder to feed while you are absent and make one of the feeding a small variety of frozen foods containing fats and amino.
LRS herbivore diet or fish frenzy is a good food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back