Kord's 3.4 gallon build

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats right everyone, you read that right... a 3.4 gallon build.
I am in the process of building a nano overflow tank for in the office of our home.. The wife told me... and I quote "You will not be moving the 30 gallon tank into the office!". Well I then decided if I can't bring that tank in, I will build a new and awesome one..LOL

The tank is 3.4 gallons( thats 15"l x 6"h x 9"w) , with a 8 gallon sump spilt into 3.5 chambers. The sump houses a skimmer, Mag drive 7, 100w heater, and soon some cheato when I get it all up and running.
Next to the tank I built a 5 gallon tall tank for the ATO. It measures 22"h x 15"l x 3.5"w. It was the only space I had available for placement so I decided to use every bit of it I could being such a small build.
This tank will house SPS, LPS, and a few softies and will be lit with a a150w 15k Kessil.
The only things I did not fabricate for this build was the skimmer, light (as of now), heater and pump. everything else has been handcrafted from wood and acrylic.

Onto the pictures.
I used 1/4" acrylic and welded it together with Weld-on 3
glued .jpg

Next it was time to shave the edges for a nice rounded corner for the water to flow across and into the tray.
routered.jpg

I sanded the edges of the tank starting at 80 grit and worked my way up to 2,000 grit and then polished them with a fine grit liquid to get it perfectly clear again.
2000 grit and polished.jpg

I made a tray for the water to drop into and return to the sump. I was not able to find pitch black acrylic, so I settled for a smoked color. Actually I would have to say it is better then the pitch black because you can see the tank through it when the light shines into the tank. I marked out the size of the tank with painters tape so I knew where I had to pit my hole.. The tape came in handy for more then marking lines throughout this process.
20150228_161201.jpg

Sorry I did not tank many picture of the process of building the sump as I did the tank, but as you can see, It went together like a champ..LOL
I have the water coming into the sump in an inclosed section, it then runs to the skimmer, over a baffle into where I will house the cheato, and then to the pump through eggcreat. You can see a better picture of it later down the pictures.
20150301_231006.jpg

glued .jpg

routered.jpg

2000 grit and polished.jpg

20150228_161201.jpg

20150301_231006.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would a tank be without a stand... Next job was to fabricate something I could live with and also not be too ashamed of for not being a carpenter..LOL
It all starts with a stand
20150313_171635.jpg

Slap on some sides and make a door for the front
20150314_120814.jpg

Rip it apart and do some staining and then trow it back together again. I also made my own trim using my table saw and scrap wood I had laying around from other projects.
(sorry but I do not have a picture of the stand at this point either.)

I then needed somewhere to place the light, I made a canopy that I could adjust up and down that is partly bolted to the rear of the stand.
20150316_033513_resized.jpg

20150316_030949_resized.jpg

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next it was time to place the sump and ATO tank into the stand. It is a VERY tight fit if I do say so myself.
20150322_212347_resized.jpg

I carved an angelfish into the front of the light canopy and stained it a dark color. I still have to stain the canopy to match the light trim on the door of the stand.
20150316_161329_resized.jpg

This is how she sits right now, I did flow some water through the system and it works almost beautifully. I would never have thought I would be saying that a mag drive 7 is not enough flow for a tank this small. I will have to figure out how to increase the flow by shortening headroom, or by getting a mag drive 9.5 for this system.

If you have any question on this build, please feel free to pm me

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing work! Can't wait to see it wet :)

Here you have it... Doing a test run with it tonight, I did have to upgrade the pump and go with the mag drive 9.5.. I will have to tweak and dial back the flow a little, but I think it will be getting salty in the next few weeks.

[video]https://youtu.be/NECzL6fMVC0[/video]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back