Kore 5th Doser 10 thumbs up

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta tell you if your needing a doser, look into the Kore 5th doser. It has 5 channels of dosing along with auto top off, and auto water change via dc pumps with temp probe as well. Bluetooth connection to mac or PC with an unbelievably sophisticated software package.
Fabulous engineering, no corners cut on this piece of highend reef equipment.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

The Kore 5th has been out for along time.

They can't find a distributor that will hang with them in the States for long peroids, but Pacific Sun does make some great products.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta tell you if your needing a doser, look into the Kore 5th doser. It has 5 channels of dosing along with auto top off, and auto water change via dc pumps with temp probe as well. Bluetooth connection to mac or PC with an unbelievably sophisticated software package.
Fabulous engineering, no corners cut on this piece of highend reef equipment.
Do you know how to do you a firmware update on the kore 5th doser? Six years later I still have the original software and firmware. I’m afraid to do it wrong as the manual says that a mistake updating the firmware can void the warranty. There’s no clear instructions on how to do it. Can you please help?

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how to do you a firmware update on the kore 5th doser? Six years later I still have the original software and firmware. I’m afraid to do it wrong as the manual says that a mistake updating the firmware can void the warranty. There’s no clear instructions on how to do it. Can you please help?

My suggestion is that if your Doser is working great with the original version stuck with it. I also have a older version and it does what i want. No risks or complications IMO.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is that if your Doser is working great with the original version stuck with it. I also have a older version and it does what i want. No risks or complications IMO.
I agree with you on that 100%. The problem I’m having is that the float sensor stopped telling the doser when to top off the water. I emailed Pacific Sun and they suggested I buy the optical sensor. So after waiting three weeks for the optical sensor to come from Poland, I still have the same problem. Now they say to upgrade the firmware And the software. I am dreading this because making changes does not seem to be user-friendly with this system. So now I am stuck having to update the firmware and I’m afraid of making a mistake and screwing up the doser. I have a tank full of Corals relying on that doser to keep everything going. Do you have any experience upgrading the firmware and software that you can share?

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you on that 100%. The problem I’m having is that the float sensor stopped telling the doser when to top off the water. I emailed Pacific Sun and they suggested I buy the optical sensor. So after waiting three weeks for the optical sensor to come from Poland, I still have the same problem. Now they say to upgrade the firmware And the software. I am dreading this because making changes does not seem to be user-friendly with this system. So now I am stuck having to update the firmware and I’m afraid of making a mistake and screwing up the doser. I have a tank full of Corals relying on that doser to keep everything going. Do you have any experience upgrading the firmware and software that you can share?

Yes. I have upgraded several times and had bad experience not on the update but yes with functions not working properly.

The good thing is that if you upgrade you can go back if you have the executable.

From what i understand when you bought the Doser it only came with the float correct? That means you don't have the Pro version which came with both. I know their is a option on the software where you can disable the float and use the optic as primary. Check that. If it doesn't work then i suggest the following. I have optic primary and float as a failsafe.

I suggest you to do a backup and copy all your settings and do a full install like when it came new with the CD that came with it. After that test the float and the optic first.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hated my kore fifth so much, it took a long dirt nap. Seriously, I got so frustrated with firmware updates and flaky bluetooth, only to be told it's my PC(which works with every other bluetooth in the world except the kore fifth) not the flaky BT in the unit, that I ripped it out of my cabinet and threw it in the trash.

Do a search on reefcentral for kore fifth(RC was very popular reffing site when the kore fifth came out), I think you'll be surprised

Biggest point of sale I have every used/bought.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have upgraded several times and had bad experience not on the update but yes with functions not working properly.

The good thing is that if you upgrade you can go back if you have the executable.

From what i understand when you bought the Doser it only came with the float correct? That means you don't have the Pro version which came with both. I know their is a option on the software where you can disable the float and use the optic as primary. Check that. If it doesn't work then i suggest the following. I have optic primary and float as a failsafe.

I suggest you to do a backup and copy all your settings and do a full install like when it came new with the CD that came with it. After that test the float and the optic first.
I appreciate all the input. I didn't realize there was a memory backup. I'm doing that now.

As far as going back to the executable, unfortunately I can't find the original CD that came with it.

I actually did get the pro version. At first I used the optical sensor, but the connection where the wire connected to the sensor came loose and stopped working. At that time I started using the float sensor. I glued it to a magnet to hold it in place since the suction cups didn't last long.

At this point, whether the float sensor or the optical sensor are plugged in, the only ATO warning that works is the 'High Level Error'. Other than that, there's no beep or pump activation from the water level being low. The ATO pump will turn on if I turn it on manually by clicking the 'Manual Turn On' button on the software. But it's not triggered by the sensor.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try updating the firmware. My understanding is that after downloading the firmware onto my desktop from the pacsun website, then i click the 'firmware upgrade' button, then choose the firmware from my desktop as the file name and click open. Is there anything else I need to do for a successful firmware upgrade?

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Once you have the download and before installation you should Clean memory and then Default settings. Once that is done then update. That will ensure that you don't have anything in memory on the Doser. Once you do the installation test everything with the default settings installed (ATO, Pumps, etc.). Then configure with your notes manually.

Try to avoid the restore function, that is only for emergency as you want a fresh installation. After that once everything is good to go do a new backup.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Once you have the download and before installation you should Clean memory and then Default settings. Once that is done then update. That will ensure that you don't have anything in memory on the Doser. Once you do the installation test everything with the default settings installed (ATO, Pumps, etc.). Then configure with your notes manually.

Try to avoid the restore function, that is only for emergency as you want a fresh installation. After that once everything is good to go do a new backup.
Thanks again for your advice. I tried to do the firmware upgrade and ended up with the Doser stuck, saying ‘bootloader ready’. Then it wouldn’t even dose. So on my long email string with Tomsasz at tech support I told him I really need him to connect with me and get this fixed. I got up at 5am pst to connect with him during the last hour of his shift in Warsaw. He came into my laptop remotely and helped me complete the firmware upgrade and download the newest version of the software. I’m thrilled that finally the Doser and ATO are working perfectly! In retrospect, one problem I was having was that the firmware upgrade instructions said to press the small round reset button on the back of the Doser during a step in the firmware upgrade. My doser is an earlier version and doesn’t have that button. It only has a big black toggle switch which turns the doser on and off. Tomasz directed me to turn off the toggle switch and turn it back on instead of pushing the button. I wouldn’t have thought to do this since the directions say that turning off the power during the firmware upgrade would damage the doser. So now I know. Great product but doing firmware upgrades are not a user friendly process. I’d suggest that if anyone else is having problems, just make an appt to connect with tech support on the phone. It just may mean an early morning appt. East coast wouldn’t be as bad.

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on the lookout for a doser/prober and the kore 7th seems to have almost everything.

Anyone with 1st hand experience of the 7th with KH lab connected?

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for your advice. I tried to do the firmware upgrade and ended up with the Doser stuck, saying ‘bootloader ready’. Then it wouldn’t even dose. So on my long email string with Tomsasz at tech support I told him I really need him to connect with me and get this fixed. I got up at 5am pst to connect with him during the last hour of his shift in Warsaw. He came into my laptop remotely and helped me complete the firmware upgrade and download the newest version of the software. I’m thrilled that finally the Doser and ATO are working perfectly! In retrospect, one problem I was having was that the firmware upgrade instructions said to press the small round reset button on the back of the Doser during a step in the firmware upgrade. My doser is an earlier version and doesn’t have that button. It only has a big black toggle switch which turns the doser on and off. Tomasz directed me to turn off the toggle switch and turn it back on instead of pushing the button. I wouldn’t have thought to do this since the directions say that turning off the power during the firmware upgrade would damage the doser. So now I know. Great product but doing firmware upgrades are not a user friendly process. I’d suggest that if anyone else is having problems, just make an appt to connect with tech support on the phone. It just may mean an early morning appt. East coast wouldn’t be as bad.

Excellent. Glad it is working.. What version he put on yours?

Daquan44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hated my kore fifth so much, it took a long dirt nap. Seriously, I got so frustrated with firmware updates and flaky Bluetooth, only to be told it's my PC(which works with every other bluetooth in the world except the kore fifth) not the flaky BT in the unit, that I ripped it out of my cabinet and threw it in the trash.

Do a search on reefcentral for kore fifth(RC was very popular reffing site when the kore fifth came out), I think you'll be surprised

Biggest point of sale I have every used/bought.

The Kore 5th is a great doser, and It was your PC that had the issue. Most laptops use a bluetooth adapter that is underpowered. Go on Amazon and get a USB adapter with the proper power and you would have had no issue with the Kore 5th. Ask me how I know.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Glad it is working.. What version he put on yours?
Software revision Kore 5th 1.8.5
Firmware revision Kore 7th 1.8.5 g

E2BF031E-124C-4B52-8704-081C04131685.jpeg

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on the lookout for a doser/prober and the kore 7th seems to have almost everything.

Anyone with 1st hand experience of the 7th with KH lab connected?
I am also curious to see what peoples experience is like with the Kore 7th with KH lab. Thanks for posing the question. I’m curious if you are also considering the APEXel controller system and TRIDENT marine aquarium water analyzer bundle since it tests and automatically adjusts Ca, Alk and Mag? I think if I was starting over, I might get the Apex since it seems to do everything the Kore 7th does and automatically adjusts my three main elements. It looks like I can get that along with auto top off for about $1600. Any thoughts on why one or the other?

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also curious to see what peoples experience is like with the Kore 7th with KH lab. Thanks for posing the question. I’m curious if you are also considering the APEXel controller system and TRIDENT marine aquarium water analyzer bundle since it tests and automatically adjusts Ca, Alk and Mag? I think if I was starting over, I might get the Apex since it seems to do everything the Kore 7th does and automatically adjusts my three main elements. It looks like I can get that along with auto top off for about $1600. Any thoughts on why one or the other?

I'm still very new to all this reefer madness, but you are absolutely right that I am looking at the Apex systems as well.

So far it stands between 3 different setups, they all have that auto dkh function:
1. ApexEL/Apex + Trident. Sad part is I cannot find any EU retailers that carry the trident. I'm also a little scared to add Apex to the system, because after that I think most items I buy must be apex combatible which will limit my options somewhat. But I have to admit the Trident is looking the sweetest so far.

2. Kore 7th + KH Lab. I guess expanding this with a ReefBot rids me of testing completely, but I will still have to tune the ca/mg by hand.

3. Alkatronic + Dosetronic. Same as the Kore 7th it'll need something else to measure ca/mg, so a ReefBot added to this would be an awesome combo.

ATO I wanted separate from the rest of the system so I can't help you there, I went with a Tunze 3155 because of the stellar reviews.

Honestly it's really hard to choose and in the end I think it'll be the TRIDENT that wins because it tests for ca/mg too without a reefbot and ends up being a bit cheaper than the other options.
But if money wasn't an object I'd go with the Alkatronic + Dosetronic + ReefBot combo because it gives the most flexibility for future gear and doesn't give me apex tunnelvision, but still being apex compatible if I change my mind sometime.

I wish someone with some hands on experience with these systems could chime in with some pros/cons!

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice breakdown! Yeah the trident measuring AND automatically adjusting the ca, alk & mag is hard to beat. It’s like having a self driving car. But you’re right it does kind of commit you to Apex. Hopefully in the next year or two more companies will come out with products that do the measuring and adjusting and we’ll have some choices.

Daquan44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex with the Trident, and ATK, but you don't have to buy equipment specifically for the Apex. My AlK and Calcium are dosed using BRS dosers controlled by the Apex. My Kore 5th doses Amino Acids, and other trace elements. My MP40's, and Radions are controller with a reeflink, except for the Radion Gen 5 which is controlled by Mobius. I wish the Apex did control everything, because it is the most user friendly interface, and I can access it from anywhere. I can monitor the Apex from work, but I cannot access Ecosmart live from work. Not much of a problem though, because I don't need to change my lighting or pumps that often. I am about to get a reefbot to test Nitrates, Phosphates, and other elements that the Trident doesn't test. I love the way the Trident has helped me get more in tune with my tank. It was more beneficial for me to see my parameters Realtime, then to only measure them on the weekends when I had time.

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex with the Trident, and ATK, but you don't have to buy equipment specifically for the Apex. My AlK and Calcium are dosed using BRS dosers controlled by the Apex. My Kore 5th doses Amino Acids, and other trace elements. My MP40's, and Radions are controller with a reeflink, except for the Radion Gen 5 which is controlled by Mobius. I wish the Apex did control everything, because it is the most user friendly interface, and I can access it from anywhere. I can monitor the Apex from work, but I cannot access Ecosmart live from work. Not much of a problem though, because I don't need to change my lighting or pumps that often. I am about to get a reefbot to test Nitrates, Phosphates, and other elements that the Trident doesn't test. I love the way the Trident has helped me get more in tune with my tank. It was more beneficial for me to see my parameters Realtime, then to only measure them on the weekends when I had time.

It seems hard to find disappointed Trident users, so maybe waiting for the trident to hit the EU and do as you plan with adding a reefbot on the side is a good idea. It seems most things are compatible with the apex anyway.

Is it possible to make the trident skip testing every 2 or 3 days to save on reagents once you have everything dialed in?

Daquan44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minimum amount of test you can perform with the trident is 4 times a day Alkalinity, and 2 times for Calcium and Magnesium. I wouldn't worry about reagent, because they are selling 6 month reagent replacements for a good price.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back