KP Aquatics hitchhiker ID's

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some KP rock and am pretty impressed. Found a few hitchhikers and could use some help on ID's and if they are reef safe. I've only ever put inverts in the tank that I've purchased on purpose and not as familiar with some of the stuff that might come in on this rock. Got a couple red mithrax that I'm going to put in the tank but want to check these others first. Hard to see in the first pic, but it's some type of worm with a TON of tentacle like things. Looks like a pile of detritus, but those are all the tentacles :) Thanks!

critter_1.jpg
crab_1.jpg
crab_2.jpg
shrimp.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the worm is a spaghetti worm and the last pic is a pistol shrimp. I have no clue about the crabs but most crabs are not reef safe, possibly including the mithrax crabs if they get hungry enough.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some KP rock and am pretty impressed. Found a few hitchhikers and could use some help on ID's and if they are reef safe. I've only ever put inverts in the tank that I've purchased on purpose and not as familiar with some of the stuff that might come in on this rock. Got a couple red mithrax that I'm going to put in the tank but want to check these others first. Hard to see in the first pic, but it's some type of worm with a TON of tentacle like things. Looks like a pile of detritus, but those are all the tentacles :) Thanks!

critter_1.jpg
crab_1.jpg
crab_2.jpg
shrimp.jpg
Nice collection! How many pounds did you buy?

OP
OP
punchy7080

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice collection! How many pounds did you buy?

Got 20 lbs of the premium stuff (starter was out of stock and I'm going on vacation Monday). A few sponges that I can see and pretty much covered in all different colors of coralline algae. Was surprised how many hitchhikers I got with this little rock (it's the four large pieces that are mostly orange colored).

This particular pistol reef safe? Would love to keep it and pair him up with a goby. Was planning to add the two, red mithrax... good idea? Gorilla and Sally Lightfoot generally reef safe? Thanks!

rock2.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gorilla crab is definitely not reef safe. With mithrax crabs they're generally reef safe but IME will begin to munch on corals if not getting enough for. I don't know anough about Sally Lightfoot crabs or the pistol shrimp to give a trustworthy suggestion.

I basically only replied to say don't put a gorilla crab in your tank.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Input on Sally light foot posted today

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that pukani?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume KP drops rock in to seed at times? Maybe not. A couple of those pieces look like pukani to me.

All crabs are opportunistic. Gorilla crab needs to go to sump. Pistol should be ok in display. Sally lightfoot will go after fish but might be ok while it's small.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back