KP aquatics live rock question

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all a risk aefw have eggs on a frag plug what could they hide in 15lbs of live rock..

Its absolutely one way to go or the other "pest free" system and not, with any of those live rock options you automatically put yourself in the NOT line, they are not all bad but what do you want for your system if its just bio, then get the smallest flake of coraline algae or a few snails from a good tank, you already have bio. right you said your up and running? There's allot of things that you don't see on that live rock stuff that hasn't hatched yet and living deep in the rock

Like this guy(crab under plug) and a few others I missed, and the pistol shrimp that clicks all night long, that drives me nuts! I'm tearing the tank apart soon to get them all!

Just things to think about
Did you QT your LR before putting it in DT? Where did you get your LR from? What time of year did you get your LR?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT your LR before putting it in DT? Where did you get your LR from? What time of year did you get your LR?
yeah i q.t it for 2.5 weeks in a 10lb and 15lb separate run, with water changes and critter picking, and under a kessil360x for both 10 gallon tanks...but im not worried about hikers or unknowns on the rock. i am very happy with the rock my tanks are not "pest free" lol i could never be that strict with my clumsy habits around the tank, but i appreciate those that do it and practice it!

i just got the k.p premium live rock a couple months ago shipped to me in fla it came in water in less than 24hrs with crabs crawling out of the bag! 15 feather dusters all kinds of brittle stars just packed full of hikers, the ones i could see were everywhere worms for days! i used small glass bottom tanks so i could see all around every night i picked them and sucked out krud on the bottom, but after all that still like the rock!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i q.t it for 2.5 weeks in a 10lb and 15lb separate run, with water changes and critter picking, and under a kessil360x for both 10 gallon tanks...but im not worried about hikers or unknowns on the rock. i am very happy with the rock my tanks are not "pest free" lol i could never be that strict with my clumsy habits around the tank, but i appreciate those that do it and practice it!

i just got the k.p premium live rock a couple months ago shipped to me in fla it came in water in less than 24hrs with crabs crawling out of the bag! 15 feather dusters all kinds of brittle stars just packed full of hikers, the ones i could see were everywhere worms for days! i used small glass bottom tanks so i could see all around every night i picked them and sucked out krud on the bottom, but after all that still like the rock!
That’s what I did. I placed LR in a 10 gallon and 3.5 gallon to observe.
I asked when you placed your order because I heard mantis shrimp migrate south during the cold months. KP LR comes from southern Florida I believe. So this might not be the case for their LR. TBS and Gulf Live Rock farming area is around Tampa Bay.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did. I placed LR in a 10 gallon and 3.5 gallon to observe. I asked when you placed your order because I heard mantis shrimp migrate south during the cold months. KP LR comes from southern Florida I believe. So this might not be the case for their LR. TBS and Gulf Live Rock farming area is around Tampa Bay.
thats a good thought about the migration!

yes best way to do it in the glass tank you can look all around at night with a flash light, i saw a few pistol shrimps in the bag and a few i picked off the rocks themself but that hiker i just dont think i can live.the tank is in the living room and its always popping it seems to be getting louder and more frequent. HES GROWING!!! lol idk but i dont like it!

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all a risk aefw have eggs on a frag plug what could they hide in 15lbs of live rock..

Its absolutely one way to go or the other "pest free" system and not, with any of those live rock options you automatically put yourself in the NOT line, they are not all bad but what do you want for your system if its just bio, then get the smallest flake of coraline algae or a few snails from a good tank, you already have bio. right you said your up and running? There's allot of things that you don't see on that live rock stuff that hasn't hatched yet and living deep in the rock

Like this guy(crab under plug) and a few others I missed, and the pistol shrimp that clicks all night long, that drives me nuts! I'm tearing the tank apart soon to get them all!

Just things to think about
Pistols and crabs are fairly easy to catch if you’re persistent with your trapping.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did. I placed LR in a 10 gallon and 3.5 gallon to observe.
I asked when you placed your order because I heard mantis shrimp migrate south during the cold months. KP LR comes from southern Florida I believe. So this might not be the case for their LR. TBS and Gulf Live Rock farming area is around Tampa Bay.
I’ve had a mantis or two. Actually nice for me cuz I was able to capture then sell them for a few bucks locally. :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back