KP Live Rock Experience

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm starting a new tank, build thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ghosts-tank-v2-waterbox-cube-20.805288/#post-8591799

My last tank used Pukani dry rock and went through months and months of dinos, cyano, and epically hair algae. I will say the Pukani was very porous and had a great shape for aquascaping, but I was willing to pay to avoid the headaches of new tank syndrome if at all possible, and I love inverts and looking at all the little life in the tank. I have heard great things about Tampa Bay Saltwater but they are closed indefinitely so I went with KP Aquatics.

I got 23lbs of "Shipped in Water - UncuredLive Rock - Buyer is responsible for Airfreight Charges" because that was the best chance of getting everything alive and in the best condition. Total for the rock was $211.60. Picking up the shipment from Southwest Cargo was pretty straightforward, luckily I live 15 minutes from a major airport. Freight charges were $70.76 for a grand total of $282.36 or $12.28/lb.

Package had several inches of water in the bottom, no leaks. Two small heat packs which I don't think were big enough to do anything, smell was fresh and water was not too cloudy. Rock went straight into the tank. Initial impressions: to be honest I was a little disappointed at first, I had heard other people got crabs, urchins, and large sponges. I did not see anything large at first glance, although a clicking sound indicates a shrimp of some kind.

On further inspection there are some live feather dusters, sponges, coralline algae, maybe some hydroids. We'll see, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

0223211739.jpg
0223211739b.jpg
0223211739c.jpg
0223211744.jpg
0223211747.jpg
0223211747_HDR.jpg
0223211800.jpg
0223211801.jpg
0223211808.jpg

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good to me. What happened to TB saltwater? That's where my rock came from and was planning on using them again in a few months.

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae on 5th pic!
I'm not worried, my last tank had it and it wasn't a huge deal, I kind of think it's unavoidable. Anyway if that one is visible you can be sure there are tiny pieces all over.

Also, is this coral alive?
For now it looks like yes. There is definitely some significant tissue recession so it remains to be seen if it will make it long term.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with KP over the years. Lots of corals and cool stuff that survives. I got a tiny flame scallop in my last order that is still going strong and has quadrupled in size. Unlike other orders I have received however, this latest one has lots of Aiptasia. The tank was a new build and nothing else was put in but the rock, so I know it came from KP. Kind of a bummer but nothing the Berghia I put in last night can't handle.

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even find my hairy emerald crab until months after the tank was cycled. I even got a urchin months later. The reason I went with kpaquatics was because of the biodiversity their rocks have. There really aren't many other options either. I also live in Florida so it was cheaper for me to ship. I've met the owner and he is a great guy. They are always trying to do it right.

I ran their rock in a nano tank and didn't use anything filtration other than filter socks and my tank did really well even with sps. I used that tanks rock to seed 40 pounds of dry rock for my 75 gallon and my tank had fish within 2 days and has been running smooth for a few months now. It's honestly more stable than my nano was.

I love kpaquatics. I particularly enjoy their horseshoe crabs.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t like the lack of controlling what enters the tank. Back in the day I loved the figi live rock and all the unique Macro-algae and sponges. However thise extra little “free” stuck can be a headache.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t like the lack of controlling what enters the tank. Back in the day I loved the figi live rock and all the unique Macro-algae and sponges. However thise extra little “free” stuck can be a headache.
There is a potential tradeoff for some pests no question. The stuff is pretty easy to QT though. The deal killer might be bryopsis for me, but not sure that is a Gulf pest.

Personally, I will never ever do another dry rock start. That much I am sure about.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back