OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it took a bit longer to choose a lid. I decided to wait and see if there would be any Black Friday sales.

I chose Top Lids and if you are interested in how it came out and the process; check out my post here on my Build Thread.

Thank you all for your recommendations, I called all of the companies you suggested.

Last edited:

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clear View or Top Lids on one tank — 260 gallon — (came with the tank) and I’m getting a Kraken lid today for my Waterbox 150.4 tank.

Can definitely shoot over any thoughts when I have the other lid in hand.

I can concretely tell you I absolutely loathe the Waterbox lids lol.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clear View or Top Lids on one tank — 260 gallon — (came with the tank) and I’m getting a Kraken lid today for my Waterbox 150.4 tank.

Can definitely shoot over any thoughts when I have the other lid in hand.

I can concretely tell you I absolutely loathe the Waterbox lids lol.
lol - well I’m glad the Waterbox one wasn’t on my list,

I’n all seriousness, all three companies I researched and spoke to were very good. It came down to two things for me, what was included in a standard lid cost wise and that the company continues to innovate,

Please do send us pics and thoughts of your Kraken lid, I was going to go with them but it was more expensive and it seemed like they focused on smaller tanks. I could be 100% wrong on that, and if their price had been better I would have gone with them, two really great companies and I would recommend both to anyone who asked.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol - well I’m glad the Waterbox one wasn’t on my list,

I’m all seriousness, all three companies I researched and spoke to were very good. It came down to two things for me, what was included in a standard lid cost wise and that the company continues to innovate,

Please do send us pics and thoughts of your Kraken lid, I was going to go with them but it was more expensive and it seemed like they focused on smaller tanks. I could be 100% wrong on that, and if their price had been better I would have gone with them, two really great companies and I would recommend both to anyone who asked.
I think someone at World Wide Coral told me that they refuse to do tanks >= 200 gallons. There’s definitely a cut off which is why my 260 gallon tank lid is not Kraken.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone at World Wide Coral told me that they refuse to do tanks >= 200 gallons. There’s definitely a cut off which is why my 260 gallon tank lid is not Kraken.
Exactly. And they can clearly corner the market on nanos!!

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I just unboxed my first Kraken lid and it is absolute night and day compared to the either Clear View or Top Lid on my 260 tank.

This is hands down inarguably the best lid in my home right now and looks absolutely gorgeous.

Sorry for the blue lights on as I quickly took a picture and didn't turn them off. Blue lights is my waterbox though with the Kraken. The other picture is the Clear View or Top Lids.

1.png 2.png

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference between Clear View and Top Lid. That looks like a Clearview.
Also, Toplid does nice big feeder holes on both sides. I can easily do small maintenance and put my big Hammerhead Algae Float through it.

Just pointing this out since you weren’t sure which brand that one was.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Toplid does nice big feeder holes on both sides. I can easily do small maintenance and put my big Hammerhead Algae Float through it.

Just pointing this out since you weren’t sure which brand that one was.
Yeah, I think most of these brands have optional feeding holes you can opt out of. Definitely appreciate the insight though. I’ll lean towards this being a clear view lid

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thecodingart are those the AI Blade lights? I’m going to switch to those and curious how you like the low profile and how it aligns with lid.
They are. I have mixed feelings about them atm.

I love their atheistics and they fit perfectly on the lid itself.

They also distribute light evenly across the entire tank in a really good way.

But…

I want more of a shimmer effect. So my next tank is going to have 2x Kessil ap9x lights so I can compare.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are. I have mixed feelings about them atm.

I love their atheistics and they fit perfectly on the lid itself.

They also distribute light evenly across the entire tank in a really good way.

But…

I want more of a shimmer effect. So my next tank is going to have 2x Kessil ap9x lights so I can compare.
Yeah, if your a shimmer person you’ll notice how Ryan at BRS did the blades with one Kessel to get the that particular shimmer that’s really important to him.

I’m too new at this and only ever had an AI prime puck over my nano and now these Red Sea lights on the 350 that I really dislike. I don’t even know all the different shimmers and what my preference would be on that aspect of the lights. I need to find an LFS in Southern California that showcases different lights so I can see what I prefer.

Right now I just want broader spectrum lights that will make all my purple/pink/blue corals pop and the blades fit that bill and my price range (when they’re on sale)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy my Top Lid. Tyler did a video call as I had them add a couple cut outs on the rear. Great quality and they even did an engraving for my tank name.
The video call with Fred saved me. He literally had to look at the ruler through my phone to determine measurements- I was that juvenile

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if your a shimmer person you’ll notice how Ryan at BRS did the blades with one Kessel to get the that particular shimmer that’s really important to him.

I’m to new at this and only ever had an AI prime puck over my nano and now these Red Sea lights on the 350 that I really dislike. I don’t even know all the different shimmers and what my preference would be on that aspect of the lights. I need to find an LFS in Southern California that showcases different lights so I can see what I prefer.

Right now I just want broader spectrum lights that will make all my purple/pink/blue corals pop and the blades fit that bill and my price range (when they’re on sale)
These guys definitely will make coral pop, they just mute the shimmer effect due to how the LEDs are distributed.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys definitely will make coral pop, they just mute the shimmer effect due to how the LEDs are distributed.
Thanks CodingArt! One last question, did you have to get cutouts on the lid for the blade mount or did it naturally go over? Because if I do get the blades, it’s going to have to work on my new lid - lol. No way I can afford or justify getting a whole new one within a month.

Newbie mistakes can get costly

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks CodingArt! One last question, did you have to get cutouts on the lid for the blade mount or did it naturally go over? Because if I do get the blades, it’s going to have to work on my new lid - lol. No way I can afford or justify getting a whole new one within a month.

Newbie mistakes can get costly
Naturally went over. That’s the best part, 0 cutouts required.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back