Kraken/Clearview/Top Lids - WHICH ONE ?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
The next step in my build for my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 is to choose a lid.
All three of these companies (Kraken/Clearview/Top Lids) seem to produce a quality product based on my research of reviews and I’m sure I will be fine with one of them.

My question is: Does someone here have experience with more than one of these brands and can tell me their preference and why.

I want to focus on just these 3 brands and am looking for responses from actual experience owning at least one of them, but prefer two.

I have a basic setup and won’t need a lid with a lot of extra modifications. Just standard cutout for Red Sea lights, wire holes for Red Sea wave maker, and the hole to drop food in.

Thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your profile doesn't say where you stay- based on that, I assume you're based in the US? ;)

Anyhow, if you are not- but based in the UK I would only really consider London Aquatic Design. They make some cracking lids at reasonable prices! I changed the one I have on my Cade 1200 and I consider buying three more for the Red Sea Max Nanos.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your profile doesn't say where you stay- based on that, I assume you're based in the US? ;)

Anyhow, if you are not- but based in the UK I would only really consider London Aquatic Design. They make some cracking lids at reasonable prices! I changed the one I have on my Cade 1200 and I consider buying three more for the Red Sea Max Nanos.
US

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you didn’t mention octo lids? I had a great experience dealing with him, I originally was talking to clear view but their customer service was frustrating.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you didn’t mention octo lids? I had a great experience dealing with him, I originally was talking to clear view but their customer service was frustrating.
I researched the ones that were most popular and narrowed it down to these

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several different options to secure lids to the top of tanks, some use the aforementioned aquarium clips, like IM, others build tabs into the lid itself, like Clearview. My favorite design, however, is Kraken Reef's. Instead of a tab sticking out on each side, they have a little lip around the entire edge of the lid that sits on top edge of rimless tanks that provides superior support comparably.

Clearview built in tabs
20221026_143324.jpg

Kraken Reef lip
20221026_143522.jpg

jerses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Clearview on a redsea tank and a long custom. Happy with both. I will say my 1st one on the redsea tank was the classic then 2 years ago when i switched to the customer tank I got the pisces... I would def splurge for the pisces again. Each time you take the lid off you do not get the condensation buildup on the pisces like you do on the classic's plastic.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Kraken makes a lid for that tank, I'd go Kraken over Clearview. I've tried both.
Thanks Cell! That exactly the feedback I was looking for. Kraken is where I have been leaning, but I’m a new reefer and like to get feedback on products when I can.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my Clearview lid for an IM25 Lagoon that does not sit flat/flush on the tank rim. I have since replaced it with a Kraken lid that sits perfectly flat.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have had Top Lids and Clearview. Both excellent in quality and workmanship. And they offer all the customization you would ever want. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the companies you posted.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my Clearview lid for an IM25 Lagoon that does not sit flat/flush on the tank rim. I have since replaced it with a Kraken lid that sits perfectly flat.

I’m laughing to myself as my OCD would also have me be pressing the lid over and over again!

Ioanis234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
The next step in my build for my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 is to choose a lid.
All three of these companies (Kraken/Clearview/Top Lids) seem to produce a quality product based on my research of reviews and I’m sure I will be fine with one of them.

My question is: Does someone here have experience with more than one of these brands and can tell me their preference and why.

I want to focus on just these 3 brands and am looking for responses from actual experience owning at least one of them, but prefer two.

I have a basic setup and won’t need a lid with a lot of extra modifications. Just standard cutout for Red Sea lights, wire holes for Red Sea wave maker, and the hole to drop food in.

Thank you!
you do you need a lid

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearview lid for my reefer 170 (running open top now). While it has been great as far as fit and holding up it just looks kind of bla. Granted I didn't splurge for anything extra or fancy so the price was very affordable. If I decide to put a lid on my reefer 350 I'll go with octo or kraken. I've not seen them in person but in pictures they just look nicer and the 350 is in our dining room. The 170 is in the bedroom so aesthetics were not too important.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you do you need a
I have a Clearview lid for my reefer 170 (running open top now). While it has been great as far as fit and holding up it just looks kind of bla. Granted I didn't splurge for anything extra or fancy so the price was very affordable. If I decide to put a lid on my reefer 350 I'll go with octo or kraken. I've not seen them in person but in pictures they just look nicer and the 350 is in our dining room. The 170 is in the bedroom so aesthetics were not too important.
aesthetics are important to me so I appreciate you mentioning the difference.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back