OP
K

Krawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... update after a year. Wow...

So the tank... sucks. It started growing hair algae very bad. The more water changes I did, the more it would grow. I was doing 20-30% water changes a week. It got old fast. It would take 3hrs on Sunday to do both tanks not to mention making RODI water every free chance i got. Nothing was growing and coral after coral was dying along with every fish I would put in there. Average was a month or 2 and then bam... dead! Every time inwould go to the LFS, it was $100-200... you need this or you need this. I gave up and was done! Stopped doing water changes. I would just put RODI in the top off as needed. The hair algae has stopped for the most part but there is still an lot in the tank. I have not added any livestock of any sort in almost a year. Now I have about $5k investment sitting in my living room that hold 2 small green star polyps!

When I started the saltwater hobby I was so excited. I wanted to grow a ton of coral and was planning on where to put all the tanks. I am a hands on guy and wanted to build custom tanks, custom sumps, custom coral racks... you name it! Heck thought about converting the garage into a coral farm! This hobby has sucked the life out of me. This tank has. I have never had a hobby that everything I did, and was told to do, didnt work and I felt like I had zero control. So I gave up. The Apex still seems to freeze. The $1k Kessil I had to have to grow the coarls... we the LFS said so... still cuts on and off at random times. Just super frustrated. I dont know if it is me, my LFS, the fact we live less than a mile from the water treatment plant, or just plain bad luck but I look up to all you guys with successful tanks! Maybe one day...

Thanks to those that have commented. I have been trying to sale the tank local for 3 or months or so with no luck. Think I may part out what I can and just take everything else to the dump. Seems like that is where it belongs.

Signing off... till next time!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back