ksfulk's Red Sea Reefer 525xL

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking grea! Love the anthias too...is the ventralis you covet the pink and yellow spotted one that costs like$249 each?$? I love those too
Ive never used any zeolite but think I'll check it out...also, what kind of lid are you going to get?
A DIY or the one from artfully acrylic.. Those are nice but someone on here rentals had bad experience..
Like they are so busy the quality control is being overlooked.
You could just get eggcrate and place it on top... No cool factor there but could stop a jumper, or would the opening still be too big?

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking grea! Love the anthias too...is the ventralis you covet the pink and yellow spotted one that costs like$249 each?$? I love those too
Ive never used any zeolite but think I'll check it out...also, what kind of lid are you going to get?
A DIY or the one from artfully acrylic.. Those are nice but someone on here rentals had bad experience..
Like they are so busy the quality control is being overlooked.
You could just get eggcrate and place it on top... No cool factor there but could stop a jumper, or would the opening still be too big?

Carberryi

p-89567-Cranberryi-Female.jpg

Bartletts

bartlettsAnthias.jpg

Lyretail

a-female-lyretail-anthias.jpg

Evansii

evansii.jpg

Ventralis

08SEP11_VentralisAnthiasi_001.jpg

Yeah - those ventralis are gorgeous but expensive. I dont mind spending a bit on fish I really want/love (The angel for example) but a trio of those are just unrealistic at this point. Not to mention I'd have to find a vendor that I like for those, as my go to vendor for some wrasses and anthias have since gone out of business. :(

Zeovit materials work like GFO or other nutrient absorbing media, but they absorb the ammonia rather than the broken down by products, so coupled with the zeovit program, that tends to vanish pretty quick - at least thats my observation so far. Its an interesting system so far.

Im getting the artfully acrylic lid. Seems like theres been a couple of people with complaints, but I think that 2 -5 out of 500+ orders is acceptable. And it also sounds like AA has taken care of those that have had issues. As an aside, I also think that most of those complaints have been on overly customized lids, whereas the RSR 525 lid is more "off the shelf". I've had good communication with the vendor so far, and when it shows up, I'll make a review of it as well. Im going to assume its fine until I see otherwise :)

I had eggcrate over the QT, and I have plenty of it around to cover the tank, but the leopards are small enough to leap through the holes. I think I have enough leftover plastic screen to make a cover, but I need some more aluminum frame. I'll stop by HD tomorrow on my way home and if its not too expensive, I'll grab some. Otherwise, I might just lay it over the tank with some alligator clips to hold it tight for now. Hate to lose fish Ive had waiting for this tank for a few months now just to poor timing. :)

Im working on the new ATO and dosing set up today - but the Lions game is distracting me :oops:

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, all of those are absolutely beautiful. I'll do more research myself (after football :) ) but any of them you would deem suitable for a trio in a 55gal?

Im getting the artfully acrylic lid. Seems like theres been a couple of people with complaints, but I think that 2 -5 out of 500+ orders is acceptable. And it also sounds like AA has taken care of those that have had issues. As an aside, I also think that most of those complaints have been on overly customized lids, whereas the RSR 525 lid is more "off the shelf". I've had good communication with the vendor so far, and when it shows up, I'll make a review of it as well. Im going to assume its fine until I see otherwise :)

I'm also going to go for one for my 250, in general forum posting skews against businesses since satisfied customers not already posting don't tend to go online and share once they receive a good product, and even with that they seem to have a high satisfaction rate. And as stated in the few cases they haven't they seem to be active in remedying the issue and their reputation, which is enough for me in a company.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with artfully acrylic lid. They delivered in 6 weeks as they said they would. The lid is ok. Was hoping for a bit more for the money, but it works.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fun things today! I thought I would go ahead and get the DOS and DDR setup (even though Im not really ready to dose much yet) since I was already running water lines for the ATO. So, out comes the ATO reservoir and the plumbing (but I couldnt get the stupid nut off of the float switch, so that will have to wait). I struggled with some cable issues, as I wanted to use the AVAST MARINE pressure switch for the ATO to control the Neptune PMUP. Problem is that the line from the PMUP isnt long enough to go from the exterior reservoir to the 1Link module. :mad: So I moved the PMUP and reservoir to the Apex side of the stand as a temporary setup and realized that the magnet for the ATO sensor was too thick to fit where I wanted it. :oops: *sigh*

So, Im going to ditch the PMUP and go back to the Avast peristalic pump that I have from three or four years ago. I'll figure out where to mount the pressure switch as well. In the meantime, its on the front of the return pump area. Its not ideal, but at least its functional. I had to add the Apex break out box as well to the board and rewire all of my switches, since I routed it to the PM2 module. That completed it was time to route some dosing lines.

I diluted the ESV B-Ionic 2 part on Friday, so it could sit for 24-48 hours before using it. I ran the dosing lines (white for Alk, red for Calc) and then calibrated the DOS. Both pumps were off by 2mL or so. So, that fixed I filled up the DDR, flushed the RO water from the lines, ran the 2 part until it came out the other end and then set up a very minimal dosing schedule for now (~12ml daily each) so I didnt screw with my parameters too much, but also could monitor the system a bit. One thing that I know I need to address is that the vertex line holder that I picked up (which is very slick looking) doesnt hold onto the glass of the sump very well. The curve of the hard RO lines are pulling it off the walls. I'll see if it settles down tomorrow, but I think I'll have to bite the bullet and pick up another Neptune probe/line holder... I just didnt want to spend $40 on a magnet :oops:

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

So, yeah... a lot of work for basically nothing. But it was a good time just tinkering with the tank. I had the brillant idea that I would take the old ATO reservoir and drill a hole for a bulkhead and use it for the extra water space with the tank. KZ Zeovit system doesnt really support a macro fuge like a lot of other people run, but more water is more water and I figured I could dump some more rubble or another marine pure block or whatever in there.

I grabbed my cordless drill, diamond bit and put the tank in the fishroom sink, made a quick template out of rigid foam and started drilling after clamping it down and running water over the hole. The bit did pretty well, but I noted as it cut through the glass that the shank was starting to "sink" into the saw itself, causing the bit to develop a wobble. I should have stopped, but I was near through, so I kept at it slowly, but I think that when the bit completed through, it must have not done so evenly, because it caught and cracked the tank as it pushed through. I laughed a little bit, as todays been about like that, and took the tank out to the garbage. Thats the 10th hole Ive drilled in a tank, and the first one thats broken. I'll take it on a tank I wasnt really sure what I was going to use it for anyway. As things go, it could have been much worse.

IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG

That said, I ran the normal battery of tests on the tank tonight, hoping that nothing would be grossly out of line. Things are looking alright - phosphate crept up a little bit but thats likely due to the fact that Im actually feeding the tank now. Corals are still responding well, and Im starting to see color return to the acro base, which was the only one I worried about, but I think it just needed some time to adjust to the light. I'm going to pick up a few more acros from a local guy next weekend if the parameters dont freak out with adding all of the fish this weekend.

Alk: 7.95 dKH (142ppm)
Calc: 460 ppm
Nitrate: 2 ppm
Phosphate: 0.03 ppm
Magnesium: 1400 ppm
Salinity: 1.026 (36ppt)

Swapped out the filter socks and checked the Deltec to see if I needed to empty it. The cup is pretty empty, but man... the neck on that thing was NASTY! Im going to let it go a few more days and see what it looks like before I have to empty it. Im pretty happy with the preliminary month of use with this skimmer - we'll see where things go with this bad jackson.

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG

Here's a few shots of the sump area, which looks like garbage at the moment, but will be a work in progress when I have a few minutes here and there during the work week.

IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, all of those are absolutely beautiful. I'll do more research myself (after football :) ) but any of them you would deem suitable for a trio in a 55gal?

I'm also going to go for one for my 250, in general forum posting skews against businesses since satisfied customers not already posting don't tend to go online and share once they receive a good product, and even with that they seem to have a high satisfaction rate. And as stated in the few cases they haven't they seem to be active in remedying the issue and their reputation, which is enough for me in a company.

I had a trio of lyretails and queens in my 75 gallon. Lyretails and bartletts are the easier ones to get to take foods in the aquarium, but they are generally adapted to eat constantly from the water column and generally have to be fed numerous times a day. If you can get them eating pellets or frozen - thats half the battle. Anthias can be kept singly, but they can lose coloration without other anthia tankmates. Fathead or Sunburst anthias are great as singles and would likely work, and Borbonius might work (though the tank might be too small) but they can be expensive.

I went with artfully acrylic lid. They delivered in 6 weeks as they said they would. The lid is ok. Was hoping for a bit more for the money, but it works.

Im gonna shoot them an email tonight and see where Im at in the que and make sure all of my "extras" are in place. Im hoping its of quality on par with the rest of the Red Sea tank, as it would be a shame if it isnt.

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone looks happy... You getting a neme for your clowns?
I'd give you one of mine( I have abt 25 in my 90)... But your pretty far away from me!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone looks happy... You getting a neme for your clowns?
I'd give you one of mine( I have abt 25 in my 90)... But your pretty far away from me!

I appreciate the thought! I thought about it... briefly - but I dont think so. All my nems have wandered and Ive got the flow cranked up in this tank and I feel like Im just flirting with fate if I had one. That said, there are 7 rock nems and a mini-maxi in there already - so I have those at least. I had a really really pretty nem about six or seven years ago that I adored, but I havent found one since then that I've liked as much.

bubbletip.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its great watching the fish settle in. The parameters have stayed rock solid so far - and the skimmers starting to kick in, plus the glass algae dusting has diminished quite a bit since the first week. I think that means things are doing good. I was feeding yesterday and noted that my carberryi anthias have started living in one of the barnacle clusters, much like they were blennies. I snapped a few shots (blah iPhone pics) but the entire ten minutes I watched them, it was obvious that the male would chase the other anthias away from the cluster, while the female would hunker down in the barnacle, then poke her head out and snatch food floating by. Pretty neat behavior. I wonder if they are just claiming bedding territory or if theres something else going on? Anthia are pelagic spawners from what I recall, so I dont think it has anything to do with that, but who knows?

IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays a bit bittersweet.

I picked up a few sps frags from a local guy and took them to the tank (tossed them in the sump) and then got dinner ready for the family. When I got back downstairs about an hour or so later, I took a look at the tank, and saw that my copperband butterfly was lying on one of the frag racks with a snail snacking on his face :( Im pretty bummed.

image.jpeg

So, after getting it out of the tank, I went about normal daily maintenance, did a 5 gallon water change, and fiddled with the powerheads a bit, as Im not really happy with the flow pattern in the tank. My rock nems have been walking around and settling at the back of the tank, where the flow isnt as strong. So, Im trying something a little different and we'll see how it goes.

So, made a short video and took a dozen or so pictures. Enjoy :oops:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( So - I got my Artfully Acrylic lid today and I was really excited about taking it out and getting it all setup, but there was a slight problem. It looks like when the lid was strung that it was done too tightly, and the center of the lid wont sit on the tank right - the tabs can sit on the back edge of the tank, or on the front, but the other end falls into the tank. Luckily the guys at Artfully Acrylic were great about talking me through my options and Im sending it back to them for some rework. Made me a little sad to pack it back up, but I'll have it back in a bit.

The pictures make it hard to see what exactly is going on since the T5s are all lit up, but you get the gist.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too high in the front right corner? @blkhwkz has the same issue in the reefer thread. Any other issues/overall impression? Sorry hard to tell on my phone :(

Actually no - it fit great at the corners - just too tight in the center - the gap at the edges is within tolerance - but since the center is strung so tight, I think that's pulling it so that the center is not within tolerance anymore. It looks amazing, and is nice and clean. The packaging isn't awesome, but its bubble wrapped and has film on both side to prevent scratches. They issued the shipping label within an hour and its already on its way back to be reworked.

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no - it fit great at the corners - just too tight in the center - the gap at the edges is within tolerance - but since the center is strung so tight, I think that's pulling it so that the center is not within tolerance anymore. It looks amazing, and is nice and clean. The packaging isn't awesome, but its bubble wrapped and has film on both side to prevent scratches. They issued the shipping label within an hour and its already on its way back to be reworked.

Glad to know that overall the quality is high and they're on top of repairs to new units with issues. Out of curiosity did you provide exact dimensions from your tank or just go with the 525xl on the site? I'm debating asking them to adjust the width on my order since the red sea website says 20" but when I measure I get 19.75"...

Thanks for sharing your experience, hopefully it turns around quickly!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to know that overall the quality is high and they're on top of repairs to new units with issues. Out of curiosity did you provide exact dimensions from your tank or just go with the 525xl on the site? I'm debating asking them to adjust the width on my order since the red sea website says 20" but when I measure I get 19.75"...

Thanks for sharing your experience, hopefully it turns around quickly!

I just ordered off the website - no measurements sent.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent some time sanding the corner on mine to get it to fit. I can now get it in place, but really have to push the one corner hard so it fits. Not sure I like that so might send it back and have them fix it for me. No way I would want my wife doing it if I am out of town. Afraid after doing that enough times it might just break.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent some time sanding the corner on mine to get it to fit. I can now get it in place, but really have to push the one corner hard so it fits. Not sure I like that so might send it back and have them fix it for me. No way I would want my wife doing it if I am out of town. Afraid after doing that enough times it might just break.

Bummer on the luck - and I think its just that at this point. If it was the same issue with all of them, then I might be concerned, but it seems a little different for each one, which might just have something to do with using the standard measurement instead of taking actual measurements. Who knows. They said its about 2-3 days to get it back, a day to fix, then 2-3 days back to my house. I'd guess something similar with yours since we're relatively close geographically.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back