ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0514.JPG

Just a good looking pic for tonight. Got water changes and media exchanges to do tomorrow :cool:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool tank!

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some random uglies to update the thread for now. Got some more snails coming in the mail tomorrow from reefcleaners, as the five trochus snails I have in there just arent hacking it :)

Looking great! I have 7 trochus in my 250 and they seem to keep busy so am sure you could handle several more. They do love to crawl into my mp40's though, am thinking I'll have to zip tie some gutter guard over the front...

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive noticed that I get some areas where the detritus is settling in the tank. Not exactly sure what to do about that, so I figured I would really play with the WAV pumps this weekend. The result, I've got a program where the WAVs blast the tank at 100% for 30 minutes once a day, which stirs everything up really really well. So well, in fact, that I had to change my felt socks back to the mesh, as they were packed in one day. Made a quick video of the WAVs running, in case people were interested.

Got some more snails from @reefcleaners - ended up missing the nassarius snails from the order, so I'll have to pick some of them up from somewhere locally if I can. But picked up three dozen or so ceriths (both normal and dwarf), two dozen periwinkles, a dozen nerites, five blue hermits (I really didnt want to, but they do get into places the snails dont) and a few more trochus snails. Also nabbed a "penny gorgonian" which was much bigger than I thought it would be. John really has some nice livestock if you are looking for CUC online. Also picked up another pencil urchin.

Also snagged a frag pack from @uniquecorals last weekend that showed up on Friday - nothing too special, green slimer type, blue/green stag, jedi mind trick monti and a red monti cap.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been taking advantage of the Fusion interface to record my daily maintenance and activities for the tank. While its not very interesting, there's always something worthwhile to see what is going on over time. The tank is almost at the two month mark (Thursday this week I believe) and while its still in the ugly phase, the transformation is happening, and its just a matter of patience at this point. I had a really hard time not purchasing anything this weekend, as the CherryCorals live sale is always something that gets me into trouble - but I refrained. My sps testing frags are doing ok. I have issues with two of them at the moment.

1.) My strawberry shortcake has been the victim of clown goby "lovin" - while I didnt think about it in advance, the more and more I read about clown gobies, the more that I regret putting one in the tank. I was lucky that its been sleeping on the frag rack, and so I was able to net him out last week and move him to a holding tank. Still, the SSC has suffered - the frag is a pale tan color, with a few spots where the goby has either nipped the polyps completely off, and a spot where he would perch that has no flesh. Its showing some signs of recovery, but it will likely be a long process.

2.) My GARF bonsai frag has been getting steadily pale-er and pale-er to the point where the frag shows a lilac coloured flesh, instead of the intense dark purple of the mother colony. Its started losing a bit of flesh around the perimeter, and Im not sure if its a result of getting hammered by flow and light, or if there's something else at play.

All of the other frags are laying down more crust on the plugs, and while there isnt much polyp extension during the day, all of the sticks show mega extension at night. Im guessing that there is something to do with the flow they are getting, but when the flow is ratcheted down, there is clear decline in color, which Im attributing to health at this point. Still, the system is quite new, so the sps/Zeovit experiment continues to roll on!

apexsnip.PNG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely!

your rocks are maturing and coloring up. Your tank makes me want a 525XL

Thanks! Tanks only 3 months old at this point, but we're starting to get the bits of maturity here and there. Would be nice if some of the algae would finish receding. :rolleyes:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back