Kyle’s IM Abyss Build!

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Starting a thread to post the progress of my new build/upgrade! I’m in the process of building the stand and plan on ordering the tank in the next week or two!

My plan:

-WB 25 Gallon
-2-3x AI Prime HD
-1 AI Nero 3
-Apex EL
-Apex DOS for AWC
-3x Kamoer dosing pump
-IM UV Sterilizer

Livestock:

-Pink Streak Wrasse
-Springeri Damsel
-SPS dominant
-Zoa garden
-Orange Hammer
-Additional fish TBD

Looking forward to getting the tank! In the meantime here are some quick pictures of the progress with my stand. Most pieces are cut and I plan on screwing it all together this weekend.

D4197D38-1ABA-40A4-AE40-B5DF96C5AC5A.jpeg

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to following and seeing how all that equipment works on the 25.
Me too! It’s going to be jam packed but I’m going to keep everything as organized as possible. Still up in the air on lighting. Leaning towards keeping the primes and doing a hybrid fixture but I’m worried my canopy I’m building won’t support it. Designing the canopy has been quite difficult but hoping to have it finalized within the next week

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day for stand construction! Just needs some paint and wall paneling in the middle. Also gotta start work on canopy/arm.

A09C70CF-B4D4-4E3C-B33B-49216F52BD65.jpeg

350DRVR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day for stand construction! Just needs some paint and wall paneling in the middle. Also gotta start work on canopy/arm.

A09C70CF-B4D4-4E3C-B33B-49216F52BD65.jpeg
Are you considering 3 AI Prime? I have one and I think it will be more than enough but I may be wrong. I think any more than two will be overkill.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you considering 3 AI Prime? I have one and I think it will be more than enough but I may be wrong. I think any more than two will be overkill.
I have 2 on my 7 gallon now and the max par is around 300. I’d like to have one every 8 inches to also reduce shadowing. I may just keep the two and attach them to a hybrid fixture

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coat of primer has been added! Going to add a second coat later today and hopefully start painting tonight! Just need to pick up some euro hinges for the door and this thing will be ready to hold a tank. This weekend I plan to finish the arm that will hold the lights since I finally settled on a design
4C49E797-F598-4B11-B1F2-5542FD637092.jpeg

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painted the stand last night. Going to touch up a few spots today. Now all that’s left to do is glue in the panels which should arrive tomorrow. Going to order my tank this weekend.

When it comes to lighting, I plan on initially setting up the tank with my primes but eventually I’m going to either get a 4 bulb ATI fixture or a hybrid fixture if I can still find the 16” spacers

982D6827-6702-4E11-8928-271A67A8616D.jpeg

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to provide a quick update, the panels have been cut to fit the stand. Going to glue them in tomorrow because the weather is expected to be a little warmer. I’ll post picks once they’re in place. Didn’t have time to work on the mounting arm but I’m expecting the stand to be complete this weekend. Hoping to get the new tank in the next two weeks

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to glue the panels on last night and wow was that a mess! Going to try and use a nail gun to get them on tomorrow night. Really hoping I can finish this stand in the next week or so

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching this closely as I will probably poach your stand idea. Look forward to how you install the door.
So for the panels I’m going to try adhesive tape and then caulk. For the door I’m going to start with some magnets so I can just pull it off. I’m worried the door may be too heavy though so I’ll either put a lip on the bottom or go with euro hinges

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 on my 7 gallon now and the max par is around 300. I’d like to have one every 8 inches to also reduce shadowing. I may just keep the two and attach them to a hybrid fixture
I have 3 with diffusers on my 20high. I had two but just added Third so I could run them lower and have better spread

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 with diffusers on my 20high. I had two but just added Third so I could run them lower and have better spread
The past few days I have seen a few people mentioning they have more than one. I may consider adding a second now but won’t know for sure until the new tank gets here

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past few days I have seen a few people mentioning they have more than one. I may consider adding a second now but won’t know for sure until the new tank gets here
Trust me, you'll need at least 2. Just bought my second one last week bc Zoas on the edges were reaching for light

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 93 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back