OP
K

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank builder just sent out notice that they have now been closed by the essential services declarations, so talk about down to the wire in terms of getting the tank last Friday!

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was putting a 3/4" bulkhead in the far side return line and it just wouldn't sit flush, like the two holes in the laminated panel were off a bit. Really, my luck, the tank with a flaw like that, to the point it wouldn't be able to be used since the bulkhead couldn't sit flush, and cranking it down would just risk cracking...

Then I thought to try another 3/4" bulkhead I had, and it fit perfectly fine. Sooo, a warped ABS bulkhead, one for the garbage bin, but always check your bulkheads people!

The tank looks mint, though they overbuilt the length just slightly, so it's tighter than I had expected. Still, enough room on both sides. Will try some better pictures later on, but this thing is super reflective and the room is packed with junk. Trust me, you don't want socks and sandals, as a typical Canadian, littering every shot in the reflection~

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to remove some of the window trim to make things fit properly, wasn't so pretty but eh..

new_tank_installed4
by Kyl, on Flickr

Tank is now level, fully installed on the stand and set where it's going to be. Glass is right inline with the DT, about an inch between both tank panes, about 3/4" from the wall for the overflow. I planned for 1" clear on each side, but the tank shipped 76-1/4" in total instead of 76".

Tomorrow is cleaning with citric acid time, then a bit of a fill with RO to get that film off of things, and shopvac emptying. Friday I'm going to fill with RO up to just below the overflow and make sure there are no leaks. If things are dry on Saturday morning, the waste line from the DT AWC will be re-routed to the new tank, and flow upped to 5 gallons a day. When the tank has a good 6" or so of water I'll put some biofilter in there from the sump, and transfer the fish waiting to be re-homed to their final, albiet a bit shallow, home. Hope to finally have this plumbed into the DT probably sometime in late May, want to get as much of the manufactured funk out of the tank so it doesn't hit my SPS when they're finally combined.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to hook up the old XF150 gyre today, it would barely stick through 16mm of glass. Took a closer look, one of the wet side magnets is swollen.. beh..

And well another beh came up, but I won't comment on it till things are sorted, but the tank is now about 4" of fresh 1.026sg salt and 5 gallons a day from the DT will be filling up the remainder.

Now to see if I can even find XF150 wet side magnets anymore, or just bite the bullet and pick up a XF350 for this thicker overflow side glass. It's only $15 more than the 4k gyre with the pump only option, though either of those will pretty much kill the rest of my hobby savings. Wasn't planning on throwing another 200 bones out there right now..

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I put this debate to the FB group, but lets see what others think.

Going to be going with the D-D Jumpguard for this tank as well. Either 1x 72" x 22" with reinforcing bars in the middle, or 2x 36" x 22" with the two profiles in the middle. Leaning towards the later, so half of the tank can be "protected" while I'm working on the other. Or do I just go with the big lid and watch for jumpers more intently while working with frags?... #reefsquad

new_tank_filling
by Kyl, on Flickr

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I put this debate to the FB group, but lets see what others think.

Going to be going with the D-D Jumpguard for this tank as well. Either 1x 72" x 22" with reinforcing bars in the middle, or 2x 36" x 22" with the two profiles in the middle. Leaning towards the later, so half of the tank can be "protected" while I'm working on the other. Or do I just go with the big lid and watch for jumpers more intently while working with frags?... #reefsquad

new_tank_filling
by Kyl, on Flickr

I vote for 2 instead of 1.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my hobby savings is gone, replacement magnet to get up here would be close to $80-90 and be a month plus away, a lot to spend on a ~5 year old gyre. Still dealing with an issue outside of the pump, but it won't impact the operation of the tank or the timeline of things. I have two pieces of the rock cooking in my DT sump now, and about 2" of water line has increased via daily 5 gallon AWC removal from the DT. I figure cooking most of the rock in the DT should help any potential diatom blooms or other junk since the bio filter there is years old at this point, less chance to mess this new tank up while it's running in stand-alone mode.

I did want to glitz the plumbing up a bit, going for SCH80 fittings on the first section where the threaded connections are. The ball valves I bought are the same as on the dt and frag system, but this time I'm going to print some brackets for them to recess into and secure against the wall, or the stand somehow.

Settled on dual 36" mesh lids, and once I get them installed the fish will make their way over, probably this weekend..

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized tonight while cleaning up some stuff that the DD Jumpguard kit I used on my frag qt tank was the pro version, which meant it came with not only black mesh, but an extra 75cm profile and two of the connection tabs. I'm going to see if the LFS has the pro version of the 18090 kit, since it ships with 2x 180cm and 3x 90cm extrusions. If so, I can make two 36" lids out of a single kit, using the extra 75cm profile and tabs from the 75x75pro kit. ;Bookworm

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your e-mail.

There’s not a typo on this unit. The 180 version comes with 7 x 90cm lengths and 2 x T joining sections to allow you to join the two 90cm lengths together to form the 180cm – otherwise the packaging would be too long.

This is probably ideal for you if you have 2 of the spare corner tabs from your last project – as it will leave you with 8 corners in total which is what you need.

Good luck with it.
Woot

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Jumpguard kit, it indeed came with 7 x 90cm profiles, so project dual 36" lids is a go for tomorrow. As well my frag tile order, or at least what they interpereted as my order, came in. Have to get some more square tiles on order for another few month wait, but happy with that too. Should see a very happy tang in a day or two as it moves from a 40b to the 6'.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Jumpguard kit, it indeed came with 7 x 90cm profiles, so project dual 36" lids is a go for tomorrow. As well my frag tile order, or at least what they interpereted as my order, came in. Have to get some more square tiles on order for another few month wait, but happy with that too. Should see a very happy tang in a day or two as it moves from a 40b to the 6'.

Cool and exciting happenings in your world!

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, they are needed.

Hard part of the lids is done, get the netting on later tonight. This means the fish are going to be going in tomorrow.

90_lid_wip1
by Kyl, on Flickr

90_lid_wip2
by Kyl, on Flickr

Yes the bar down the middle will kind of suck, but either way there will be bars as a 72" length would be bowing, and the kit forces supports between the 90cm profiles. So it's 3/4" vs almost 2", not really a big deal or end of the world. This means I can work on one end of the tank and not worry about jumpers where I'm not looking.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center screen frame looks like it should be there. Turned out really nice!

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have spent some time back and forth with a few people, including one of the local SPS gods, whom is also going to be expanding his system soon pretty much identically to how I am. Unlike my plan, he is going to plumb the expansion tank in and fire it up day 1, nothing gradual. I asked about hesitation to potential SPS loss from new tank funk, he's not worried about it and his tank looks like this..

92756603_3254706047882673_2364667641508921344_n.jpg

Almost all of that is high end SPS... I trust his decision making skills, he upgraded that current tank two years ago and barely skipped a beat.

Covid has thrown a big wrench into things as some of our local plumbing supply distributors are order-in only, no browsing, or flat out closed. Getting any type of Spears PVC fittings is a waiting game, then you start laying things out, and darn, didn't think of that, or need another fitting, so it's another waiting game. I had told myself that a gradual fill up will occur, and by then it will probably be ready to plumb in, but still run it solo for a while. Reflecting a bit here and there though, I sort of did the same thing with the temporary 40B. It took a good portion of the water from this DT for it, which meant it had the good, but also low ammonia processing, and no nutrient export. Suffice to say, I don't want the "AIO mode" suffering the same thing, having to put more bandaids on that will potentially change the water enough that it will be just as much of any shock as flat out new water would. There's about 40 gallons of DT water in the tank now, with about 10 of fresh IO.

Plan B: Going to run the tank short-term as simple as it gets: vinyl tubing and Durso drain to the DT sump. NSF tubing place is still open, and so is homedepot. I have float sensors on the P4 here that have been un-used, so will put one on the new tank just in case for whatever reason the durso screws up.

I think sometimes I tend to way over-think and over-plan things. Honestly when I heard our SPS guy say 'no, just letting it rip day 1' it was a shock, like, if that guy isn't worried, and has done tank upgrades a few times, then why am I worrying?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XF350 installed, frag tank is pretty much ready to go. Water is still rising from the ~5 gallons a day, about an inch below the overflow now. Got the rest of the temp plumbing today and I'm going to get it in place but wait until Friday after work to fire it up, just in case there are leaks after a few hours so it's not ~10 hours of drippy drippy while I'm at work.

Soo.. assuming things go great, the fish go in the tank Friday evening and the next stage in the journey begins.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back