L.E.D Supplementation --- Help colors are fading as we speak!!!!!!!!!! Large Build

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay – After about a half of year of running L.E.D.S I am convinced that the fixtures that I am using is missing part of the Spectrum. My tank is mainly a SPS tank and while the growth and polyp extension is great the colors are way off. This is evident by comparing my frags > 200 with those seen in a T5 or MH tank. Therefore I have two options Supplement the LEDS or go with T5 or MH.
Few Questions for folks in a similar situation
1. Can I supplement with UV(Violet) and Magenta stunner strips?
2. Should I supplement with T5’s mainly ATI true actinic with Fuji Purple
3. Scrap the LEDS and go back to T5s
4. Scrap the current brand (I prefer not to list as they are supporters) and go with Radians.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I like my tank better with t5 sups. Ati purple, and blue + made a big diffeterence.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running AI sol blues with t5 supplementation of aquablue+ and fiji purple and boy o boy the colors that I am getting from some of my corals are crazy.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a diy supplemental led unit, so will see how it turns out. I went with a mix of violet (9), red (2), cyan (2) and RB (4). If does not work T-5 is next choice. Will post results, still waiting for 2nd driver. First build with only 1 sucked

Blake11rebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure to keep us updated on how the supplementation goes. Ive sort of got the same problem with a couple corals morphing. was thinking about adding 1 t5 ati purple plus or fiji. I already have the fixture and im trying to find a way to mount it in my canopy

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why go back to T5's when you can just put on some 420nm LEDs, it is the same spectrum as actinic bulbs. It is a very important spectrum to have though for corals/photosynthesis (actinic/420nm).

My first light I made a few years ago I made sure to cover as much as the visual spectrum as I could with LEDs (royal blue, blue, cyan, cool white, neutral white, and warm whites). At the time there were no actinic LEDs so I did go the T5 route to add that spectrum and it does help a lot but I just got a dozen 420nm LEDs in the mail today and I will be swapping out my T5s tonight for 420nm LEDs finally.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back