LA DD Clams Going Downhill?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a True Purple Maxima from DD listed at 2.25 inches. It came in at 1 7/32 inches. I was jacked up since true Purple Maxima, and true Green Maxima, are some of the holy-grail clams to me.

I got another blue one at 1.75 and it is only 15/16 inches. what the heck?

It seems like LA is going downhill... or is it just me? This might be my last clam order from them. Let me know if I am just being stupid about this.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to be honest with the sizes of their clams. I would not be happy if I received something that was not as described. 15/16" is really small, I hope you have better luck with DD clams than I have had in the past.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sizes being off is concerning. I've read a couple threads where others were having issues with survivability with there clams. Keep us posted on how they are and how about some pics, they sound like real beauties.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two both died - did not even make it 24 hours. It is not like I do not know what I am doing with clams.

I have already had to stop buying acropora from DD, but I guess that clams are on the list now too. I used to really like them. I have no doubt that they will be good about giving a credit. There is a black/white one that is alive... it did come in about the size that was offered so I did not whine about it in post #1.

Where do you all get clams from? clamsdirect was sad... now LA is dead to me. Dr. Mac I guess, when he has them? Any other suggestions? I am always looking for good clams and especially REAL purple and green Maximas, good blue Squammys and if I can ever find a Gigas again, I have a 30"x30" spot in my new build with it's own 10K MH alll ready for it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, sorry @jda I've never purchased from Pacific east but I haven't read any bad reviews. There's vendors on here that sell but the question is where do they get there clams from? I'd consider you an expert keeper of clams so I know it's the source, not you. Have you looked into ORA?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to buy clams from my local reef shop, so that I can see if they have pinched mantle and or gaping, in person.

And to make sure they have a good shadow, reflex :)

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two large blue squammies. I need to move them on to larger homes, but I want to secure 3" replacements first. I do this in a 18-24 month cycle... sometimes longer. 8-10 inch squammy is no joke in a tank.

Unique used to have nice clams, but they are not doing WSYWG anymore that I can tell.

I got a ORA blue tiger stripe a while back... it is growing quite well and is healthy. I got it locally from a shop that has lots of ORA stuff quite regularly. I got it a day or two after they got it... I might not have bought it any later than this since they have a single Hydra 26 about 30 inches over a 30x30 inch frag tank. I cannot imagine that they are even getting 100 PAR and this is one of those shops that will not hear that their Hydras are not enough light for stuff. The SPS frags were all white.

I prefer to buy clams locally, but they rarely have awesome ones. I also do not want them to be sitting around since most of them under light them and move them around too much. I guess that good ones that live are better than awesome ones that die. :(

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, 0/3 on LA/DD clams. I've recently had good luck with my LFS that buys them from someone in CA who keeps quarantines them in a greenhouse before shipping.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tlreefs always seem to have beautiful nice-sized clams. And they posted somewhere that theyve had some in thier system quite a while

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the link to tlreefs. They do have some nice ones.

The third LA/DD clam ended up dying. 0% on this order. ...last one for me. :(

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the link to tlreefs. They do have some nice ones.

The third LA/DD clam ended up dying. 0% on this order. ...last one for me. :(

Have you dealt with Reefkoi in Colorado Springs? He used to get some nice looking clams. Not sure if he still brings them in.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 4 clams from ltreefs with the refund that LA gave me. I hope that they end up better.

Last edited:

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I saw this thread earlier. I've purchased 3 clams from Live Aquaria on Thursday. UPS Next day air has been delayed to my area. It's been rescheduled for Saturday Morning and I will be at work.
I'm hoping for the best and I will have to give my wife a crash course in Clam acclimation.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I saw this thread earlier. I've purchased 3 clams from Live Aquaria on Thursday. UPS Next day air has been delayed to my area. It's been rescheduled for Saturday Morning and I will be at work.
I'm hoping for the best and I will have to give my wife a crash course in Clam acclimation.
Good luck

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with POTO but they have cocos clams for a great price. I know cocos are hardy. And if you live in the east the shipping isn’t too bad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back