La detected in an ICP test.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JulesH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JulesH

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
208
Reaction score
170
Location
Torquay, UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time (and still do) I use La Cl to reduce PO4 and was finding the La was showing up on an ICP test. I am assuming that some La remains in the water column without binding with PO4, or is it the results of the La binding with the PO4 that has not been filtered out of the system?

Thanks for looking.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 11.48.21.png
 
it also binds to DOC. My understanding is La doesn't like to be a free ion but miami could be right too.
 
My post above was actually a quote from @Randy Holmes-Farley





Lanthanum can precipitate phosphate and carbonate (alkalinity).

I don’t know if ICP is detecting lanthanum particulates or soluble lanthanum (possibly both?) I don’t know how long it will take for lanthanum to completely precipitate.

I used to have lanthanum in ICP when I actively dosed it. Once I stopped, future ICP tests (after several months) showed it as undetectable.



Here are some more helpful quotes from Randy:

There's lanthanum in normal seawater, and if you add more, there will be more.

The tendency to precipitate anything depends on many factors, most especially the concentration of the specific ions involved, but there is no chemical that completely precipitates when mixed with anything else.

Lanthanum is not very toxic. I do not know if your values are correct, but the lowest toxic effect data I see for marine species in this paper is nearly 10 times higher than yours:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...09d5c07&pid=1-s2.0-S014765131530110X-main.pdf

It is true that few see dissolved lanthanum by icp, but I do expect that after dosing there can be substantial particulate matter that eventually settles out. I don’t think the particulates are especially reactive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new