LA lakers scroll coral

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral and the spongodes in front of it dont seem to be very happy over the past several days. The scroll coral looks more powdery and less polyps. Almost has an appearance as if you could take a brush over it and the tissue would just come off. Also noting that some lps aren't looking as full. Checked my params yesterday. Somehow I had an accidental drop in my SG which i suspect occurred over a long period of time and lack of frequent checking.

SG 1.022
Ca 415
Alk 7.5
NO3 0
Phos 0.03

Is the spec gravity enough to cause these changes? Again this sg was probably lowered from 1.025 over a course of weeks. The nutrient labs really havent been any different other than phos used to also be 0 before dosing. Despite no change in low nutrients the corals have done well prior.

20200603_204445.jpg

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: not sure if it's worth adding, but also over the last week or so the tank again has a white cloudy appearance in the water column despite the skimmer and UV running. Previously had what was thought a bacterial bloom a few months back, added the UV and it cleared up to crystal clear water in 48 hours. This time its showing up despite a 24 hr running uv filter.

Dosing only 2 part via dosing pumps and trisodium phosphate and sodium nitrate for nutrients daily.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sg i would say no ,how long have you had ,any movement of coral,or change in light,?
imo scroll will do better in lower light,seems to be in high ,with 0 growth ring

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals havent moved. Been in that spot since end of Feb.

No equipment changes or change in light.

Orphek running centrally over the tank using their mounting bracket. Peak intensity only 70%. Everything looked great until recently I noticed those 2 and some lps just dont seem to be that happy looking.

Not really sure other than that very slow rate of decreasing sg by 0.003 lower and the tank has that classic white haze everyone calls bacterial bloom more recently even though the UV is still up and running when it previously fixed that issue in under 2 days.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as far as spongeoid ?? i would lower cup ,with enough flow to keep debris off ,basically treat like monti,
should have yellow growth ring around by now

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spongeoid?

Also I ordered reef roids and a pipette to spot feed the corals. Hoping that helps their health as well as improve nitrate to detectable limits.

Very recent as of maybe a week ago it did have bright yellow polyps and a better purple base.

Trying to think of anything new. Started dosing more nitrate up to 5ml daily rather than 2 to 3 ml every few days. I skipped no3 dose today thinking that's the only change I've made on dosing.

These changes to the tank all seem very trivial so thought to ask you guys here! :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sp.oid looks ok,scroll seems pale,think too much light,best wishes,any probs worsen come back,somebodys always here to help ;)

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes. Thanks! I'll try to move it lower and get it some better flow. 1 maxspect 330 gyre on random and the varios4 return in the tank. Thinking about adding tunze pump or wavebox opposite the gyre.cant turn the gyre max or it destroys the corals on that side of the tank.

jhall2242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes. Thanks! I'll try to move it lower and get it some better flow. 1 maxspect 330 gyre on random and the varios4 return in the tank. Thinking about adding tunze pump or wavebox opposite the gyre.cant turn the gyre max or it destroys the corals on that side of the tank.
So how is the scroll coral now? I have a new green scroll coral. About 3” in diameter. Trying to decide how far away from my lights it needs to be.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its supposed to be a pretty easy coral. My tank was too young, I think. I started dry rock and no sand as well. Its still a bit of a struggle a year matured.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back