Lab Tank Progress

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by nando2323, Dec 5, 2017.

1. nando2323

nando2323 Member

So I work in a Toxicology Laboratory and have access to "real" lab grade pretty much everything. I just purchased a Biocube 32 for the office and I will be using lab grade RO .001 TDS water for this build, and lab grade ammonium chloride 80% pure for the fishless cycle which is only .5ml for 30 gallons, me and the head chemist did the math :). I have a 70gal at home now that I use consumer grade stuff with and I have great success I just wonder if the lab grade RO really will make any difference. I'll post first pics soon.

Bob Bennett and Jason mack like this.
    Tags:

2. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Interesting!

3. nando2323

nando2323 Member

Here is the first picture of it, aquascaped and filled with that lab grade RO water. I am using RedSea Reef Pro salt. Initial tests are SG 1.026 need to bring it down a bit, temp 78, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. I will add the Ammonium Chloride tomorrow morning to get it to 3+ PPM.

Tank Equipment:

BioCube 32 LED
    27Lbs of Dry Rock
    20lbs of fiji pink sand
    Hydor Slim Skim Nano
    2 bags of Matrix in Sump
    Hydor Nano Powerhead
    Inkbird Temperature Controller
    125W Heater
    Tunze Osmolator

20171205_140555.jpg

BangedUp likes this.
  4. nando2323

nando2323 Member

Just put in the live stock for the past 3 weeks. 2 Gladiator Clowns, Blood Red Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, 10 Margarita Snails, 5 Hermits and a Frogspawn that I transferred from my home tank. Those were all sparingly put in over the past 3 weeks after the cycle was done.

5. nando2323

nando2323 Member

Here is a side shot of it I just took. I can't believe how clean and clear the water is at this point, not sure if that has to do with the lab grade RO or not. Parameters are 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 10 Nitrate 1.025 Salinity been doing bi-weekly 5 gal water changes using RedSea Coral Pro.

IMG_0045.JPG

BangedUp likes this.
  6. BangedUp

BangedUp Active Member

Makes me happy to see the powerhead so close to the Fiji pink and not blowing it around; I wasn’t sure about that diameter sand

Draft saved Draft deleted