LaCl overdose 300ml over 2 hours into 800L display tank

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just posted this into my build thread, but thought I’d post it here so more people see this...
I’ve had a potential self inflicted disaster today, some of you may know that I’ve been using LaCl dosed directly into my display tank for a couple of years now, with no issues whatsoever. I inadvertently hit a button on my GHL app and it dosed about 300ml of LaCl (Quantum brand) into my display over a couple of hours... the first I knew of it a was when a couple of my wrasse went into real distress and I could here them hitting the jump net and all the splashing from upstairs. Really sadly ive now lost 3 fairy wrasse up to now... the tank was like skimmed milk!!
I immediately turned all power heads on full and aimed at the water surface and started water changes, 100 L changed so far..
I’ll do 150 - 200 L a day for a few days..
On the upside, I’ve not lost any inverts, my nem sulked for a few hours, but seems fine now, all remaining fish are feeding, with no apparent issues, including all angels, butterfly, anthias, sand burying wrasse, tang, clowns and damsels.
God knows what will happen to my sps over the coming months, all look ok except 1 milli, which has similar damage to alk burns... I’m about to test Alk and Ca to see how much has precipitated out...
It just goes to show how we have to be so careful with all of the apps etc we use and rely on so much now, one inadvertent press on a touch screen following a container refill and a potential disaster.. i don’t associate any blame to GHL or quantum this was entirely my clumsiness that caused this. Fingers crossed that what I’ve done to mitigate this works and I don’t lose anything else..

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lighting intensity should drop 40% and sustain here for sure. its the first cpr move yep given the insult. I bet things w be ok

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lighting intensity should drop 40% and sustain here for sure. its the first cpr move yep given the insult. I bet things w be ok
Thanks Brandon, for replying, why drop the light intensity? That sounds counter intuitive to me as it’s SPS major energy source

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Searching for thread one sec

much like a cloudy reef week that happens in nature, heterotrophic feeding carries them just fine and this is a critical bleach prevention intercept trick:

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider dosing something with phos in it ASAP, reef roids, reef chilli, etc. Get the lacl to bind to it safely as well as keeping your acros alive due to a phos drop. I have had STN events due to phos crashes using lacl. I now use a heavily dulited 50x phosphate e solution due to a similar issue.

Edit: Expect an alk drop as well, youll need to monitor your values really closely over the next few days.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

its harmless to run on tanks doing just fine, mimics nature in fact to not be 100% all day every day current levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider dosing something with phos in it ASAP, reef roids, reef chilli, etc. Get the lacl to bind to it safely as well as keeping your acros alive due to a phos drop. I have had STN events due to phos crashes using lacl. I now use a heavily dulited 50x phosphate e solution due to a similar issue.

Edit: Expect an alk drop as well, youll need to monitor your values really closely over the next few days.
Thank you, sorry I should of said I have been feeding lots, the reef roids is a good shout cheers Alks ok so far but adjusted my KHD to 6hour testing to make sure

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, sorry I should of said I have been feeding lots, the reef roids is a good shout cheers Alks ok so far but adjusted my KHD to 6hour testing to make sure

No problem, reef roids really adds a ton of phos at least in my system. Proof here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-roids-causing-large-phospate-spike.813094/#post-8709729

Just keep an eye on your levels, try and keep a measurable amount of phos with reef roids and food, keep doing water changes and hope for the best. If you have <100 micron filter socks put them in and clean them/swap them as often as you can like hourly.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about alkalinity drop. Also keep an eye on tang. Start running 1um socks.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, reef roids really adds a ton of phos at least in my system. Proof here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-roids-causing-large-phospate-spike.813094/#post-8709729

Just keep an eye on your levels, try and keep a measurable amount of phos with reef roids and food, keep doing water changes and hope for the best. If you have <100 micron filter socks put them in and clean them/swap them as often as you can like hourly.
The tank is nearly clear again, which is slightly surprising as I don’t run any mechanical filtration at all other than algae bed. The precipatate has collected on the rockwork so will baste where it settles..

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured Ca it had dropped slightly to 410 so dosed 100ml to give it a boost, Alk is still spot on at 7.5dkh. Coral polyps are out and normal length, no hyperextension you sometimes get with stress... this is a current pic, still a slight haze.. my white tail tang is being its usual idiot self, my main current concern is my Solon wrasse he’s hiding deep in the rockwork... fairy wrasses seem to be affected more than anything else
image.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back