OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a minute!

The walls have been painted and the flooring has been placed, so it was time to assemble the APS stand and place the tank.

20240414_103313.jpg

I've run into some concerns with leveling and gaps.

I've been in touch with Brian at IM and he tells me the leveling is nearly set, but I may use shims to get closer, also that any gaps between the floor and the base of the stand needs to be filled/supported, and gaps between the foam mat and the foam board should settle when the tank is filled/over time. More info below for those curious!

I've noticed these gaps between the tank's soft foam leveling mat and the hard foam board on the stand (in two opposite corners). Yikes. I've seen mixed opinions on this in other posts with similar findings.

Gap:
20240414_101902.jpg

No gap:
20240414_101910.jpg

The blue level is on the sides of the tank (~2 feet) and the yellow level is the ~4 foot length across the front. I'm seeing I need to come up 2-3 mm in the front right corner, and up 3-4 mm in the front left corner, and some adjustments as we go along. Not very much! So, I've struggled with whether 2 mm across 4 feet is enough to warrant shimming but my conscience and anxiety about tank failures tells me yes, I probably should.

The floor was fairly level, so I'm getting these results from the tank + stand combo.

Right side:
20240414_102026.jpg

Left side:
20240414_102114.jpg

Front:
20240414_101854.jpg

I will likely try to install composite shims all along the bottom, and filling any gaps, to evenly support the base of the stand. A shim every two/few inches might be OK? Or are we talking: literally no point of the base should be unsupported? I've never shimmed anything, and of course this is fairly important to do correctly. Oh, my nerves. I hope these shims are thin enough at the end to give me a millimeter or two... or perhaps we need to shave them down.

This brings me to my other concern that I brought up with IM. I'm told that the entire base of the stand, not just the four corners (with the thin foam pads) is supposed to be evenly resting on the floor. I find that only the four corners are truly sitting on the floor and the rest of the base of the stand is slightly elevated or "floats." It varies between front/back/sides. I tried to take photos to illustrate but it's sometimes hard to see! And sometimes this gap is very small. Brian tells me that what some people do is cut a super thin strip of wood, thickness as needed, and place along the entire base that is unsupported. Oh man.

20240412_172922.jpg

Gap thins out in the front-middle:
20240412_172834.jpg

That's where I'm at right now!

Part of me wanted to fill the tank up and just see how it changes with the weight of water but I felt like it could go either way - better, or worse.

If anyone has been in a similar boat, I'd love to hear your thoughts or your opinion of what I'm looking at here!

I just want this thing to last me a long time, so that's the main goal.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tiny plastic packers you put them under the cabinet but in so you don’t see them. You can get them in 1mm and upwards a lot of window fitters use them. They are hard plastic

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tiny plastic packers you put them under the cabinet but in so you don’t see them. You can get them in 1mm and upwards a lot of window fitters use them. They are hard plastic
Sorry forgot to say pack back and front of the cabinet

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get metal shims of all thicknesses, like way down to a thou! I might need those for the tiny gaps.
Yep that about it if your cabinet is packed at the gaps. I push them in just a tiny bit so you hardly see them but able support your cabinet. Then just check your tank with a your level that your tank is plum and you’re sorted . Good luck I will be following. Ps Nice tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that about it if your cabinet is packed at the gaps. I push them in just a tiny bit so you hardly see them but able support your cabinet. Then just check your tank with a your level that your tank is plum and you’re sorted . Good luck I will be following. Ps Nice tank
Thanks for your input!! I have a couple tricks up my sleeve now.

I'm hoping the stand isn't square or level (though we checked before, maybe it's changed) like the other user said, and I'll be lucky with an easy fix.

If not, we shimmin.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input!! I have a couple tricks up my sleeve now.

I'm hoping the stand isn't square or level (though we checked before, maybe it's changed) like the other user said, and I'll be lucky with an easy fix.

If not, we shimmin.
Was wondering where you were at with this.

I just looked at my tank again when you mentioned the feet elevate the tank. I can actually stick a roller under the front of my tank but not the sides. I only have one center back support so it really is sitting on the 4 corners. But I believe you should address where the front of your stand contacts the floor. That's where I would think stress would be greatest. The foam mat will squish when you put 1000lbs of water in that. But I had professional tank movers place the shims for me since they do it all the time which explains why I'm slightly higher. (but like I said, mine doesn't have a support in the front middle)

Like others said, recheck the squareness of the cabinet. mine shifted when I turned it upright. it doesn't take much to make it out of whack. Did you check that the stand was level or just after you placed the tank?

I like the choice of the floor you chose.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering where you were at with this.

I just looked at my tank again when you mentioned the feet elevate the tank. I can actually stick a roller under the front of my tank but not the sides. I only have one center back support so it really is sitting on the 4 corners. But I believe you should address where the front of your stand contacts the floor. That's where I would think stress would be greatest. The foam mat will squish when you put 1000lbs of water in that. But I had professional tank movers place the shims for me since they do it all the time which explains why I'm slightly higher. (but like I said, mine doesn't have a support in the front middle)

Like others said, recheck the squareness of the cabinet. mine shifted when I turned it upright. it doesn't take much to make it out of whack. Did you check that the stand was level or just after you placed the tank?

I like the choice of the floor you chose.

I did check if the stand was level and it was! That being said, I wonder if there was some slight crowning that I didn't catch at the time, so I want to take the tank off and see if I missed that too. So, very well could have gotten a bad read on the level if it's crowned or.. something.

I will admit again this is my first time doing anything of this magnitude so I definitely accept I will make some errors along the way. I just hope to catch and fix them!!

I do have one front support but not centered, between two of the doors, and there are a couple of back supports... I think two.

Not sure if the front bottom of the stand is quite touching the floor but the floor/stand gap definitely shrinks towards the middle and slightly greater towards the ends. If that makes sense! Thanks so much for your input and sharing your experience. I love hearing from other APS owners where the stands are kind of unique.

I talked to my bf and he agrees we should take the tank off again (oof, heavy) and check everything over again and be extra thorough. Trying to avoid moving the 300+ lbs tank as much as possible but I will feel LIBERATED when this thing is perfectly supported and level.

I'm also 14 weeks pregnant so this will be an adventure. Lol.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check if the stand was level and it was! That being said, I wonder if there was some slight crowning that I didn't catch at the time, so I want to take the tank off and see if I missed that too. So, very well could have gotten a bad read on the level if it's crowned or.. something.

I will admit again this is my first time doing anything of this magnitude so I definitely accept I will make some errors along the way. I just hope to catch and fix them!!

I do have one front support but not centered, between two of the doors, and there are a couple of back supports... I think two.

Not sure if the front bottom of the stand is quite touching the floor but the floor/stand gap definitely shrinks towards the middle and slightly greater towards the ends. If that makes sense! Thanks so much for your input and sharing your experience. I love hearing from other APS owners where the stands are kind of unique.

I talked to my bf and he agrees we should take the tank off again (oof, heavy) and check everything over again and be extra thorough. Trying to avoid moving the 300+ lbs tank as much as possible but I will feel LIBERATED when this thing is perfectly supported and level.

I'm also 14 weeks pregnant so this will be an adventure. Lol.
congratulations. please don't lift. let others do it. I'd get going on the tank maturation process. you are not going to have a lot of time for maintenance in 6 months. order ocean live rock to shave off some time.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations. please don't lift. let others do it. I'd get going on the tank maturation process. you are not going to have a lot of time for maintenance in 6 months. order ocean live rock to shave off some time.

This is the plan! Get it running and get things smoothed out before I have less time, and probably less desire at times, to focus on it.

I even questioned if I had made a mistake with this setup (purchased and delivered before finding out!) and to try selling it all off, but in the end figured I might be able to find ways to make upkeep and maintenance easier on myself, and it's nice to have a hobby and something to do.

I am looking at automating a few more things and ways to make water changes easy so that the workload will be hopefully minimal! I'll also stock with fish and corals that are easy, peaceful and low maintenance. :face-savoring-food:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the plan! Get it running and get things smoothed out before I have less time, and probably less desire at times, to focus on it.

I even questioned if I had made a mistake with this setup (purchased and delivered before finding out!) and to try selling it all off, but in the end figured I might be able to find ways to make upkeep and maintenance easier on myself, and it's nice to have a hobby and something to do.

I am looking at automating a few more things and ways to make water changes easy so that the workload will be hopefully minimal! I'll also stock with fish and corals that are easy, peaceful and low maintenance. :face-savoring-food:
I stayed home and took care of 2 babies as the wife went to work. It's amazing what you can do in a couple hours when the baby sleeps. Get a schedule and keep it. no matter what. It makes it all easier. if you break it, it takes a weeks to get it back. first month is rough but then you get that schedule going and they really are not awake that much and sleep through the night. I was able to build a playhouse while they napped.

IMG_1882.jpeg IMG_1878.jpeg IMG_1880.jpeg

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stayed home and took care of 2 babies as the wife went to work. It's amazing what you can do in a couple hours when the baby sleeps. Get a schedule and keep it. no matter what. It makes it all easier. if you break it, it takes a weeks to get it back. first month is rough but then you get that schedule going and they really are not awake that much and sleep through the night. I was able to build a playhouse while they napped.

IMG_1882.jpeg IMG_1878.jpeg IMG_1880.jpeg

Hold UP that is incredible! You are extremely skilled!!! I would say you have a lucky wife and some lucky kids.

This was really nice to read and reassuring. You are so right about keeping up with the schedule. It's so easy to maintain but when you skip a water change or cleaning the sand or whatever, boom - cyano, dinos, coral loss, you name it. I have a tiny patch of cyano right now that's calling my name.

Now I have to check out your build thread! I've been off the forum for too long.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold UP that is incredible! You are extremely skilled!!! I would say you have a lucky wife and some lucky kids.

This was really nice to read and reassuring. You are so right about keeping up with the schedule. It's so easy to maintain but when you skip a water change or cleaning the sand or whatever, boom - cyano, dinos, coral loss, you name it. I have a tiny patch of cyano right now that's calling my name.

Now I have to check out your build thread! I've been off the forum for too long.
I was referring to the schedule of the babies schedule all those doctor visits outside of when they would nap.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 months after having twin girls, we're finally kind of getting some time to do stuff... have like a 90% renovated house LOL... guess what percentage we were at before the twins came lol

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 months after having twin girls, we're finally kind of getting some time to do stuff... have like a 90% renovated house LOL... guess what percentage we were at before the twins came lol

TWINS!!! Omg! Congrats, that's awesome. Very busy!!

I almost want to start a post and see how many are newer parents and/or pregnant. I would be interested to see more about what people say about balancing babies/pregnancy and their reef!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back