OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you hang your Photon 24's side to side or back to front? I'm hoping I can get away with my Photon 32's running front to back on the same tank with as little shadowing as possible. Pics look great btw!

IMO photon 32's would work perfectly front to back. That's how mine are but I have a two bulb t5 fixture across the front 8".

OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the light spread on your 24's? Does it cover the 2' on each side pretty well?

Eh, it's not bad if your lights are high enough off the surface. You have to be smart about placement of corals. Mine is 98% acros with some z/ps. So I just use the par meter a lot.if you can retro some t5's in your canopy it's the best combo IME, as the photons can definitely grow and color corals but the optics are limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got the WB right on these, I think.........

any suggestions welcome...

amj-3_zps3c5f42a1.jpg

lastdragon_zpsc494c1a2.jpg

karlsk-2_zpsbb771cd0.jpg

purpplanet_zps25342844.jpg

purpleDE-1_zps9a05787d.jpg

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great growth and coloration you have there! Under the tank feels empty doesn't it? I recently took out my sump in favor for a garage sump and frag tank. Haven't looked back since.

OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great growth and coloration you have there! Under the tank feels empty doesn't it? I recently took out my sump in favor for a garage sump and frag tank. Haven't looked back since.

Haha, I wish it was empty… it seems to accumulate stuff just like my garage. But yes, I love having my sump remote in the basement.

OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little photo update.... the tank's almost a year old. I had a near-disaster around Christmas, turns out, I found I was pushing the limits with carbon dosing a little too much. Hooked up a CaRx around February, took off the bio-pellets, and started feeding my corals something other than fish poop. Things are starting to look much better....

A few of these were taken with the D5100 and the others with my Nikon D2x. Both with a Nikkor 18-200m. Just goes to show you, anyone can take bad photos with good equipment!

pinkdragtale_zps4e90a110.jpg

cottoncandy_zpse1182d68.jpg

joesRB_zps0f23b84f.jpg

cjpinky_zps42dc7d4c.jpg

tdf_zps0ddb31da.jpg

AMJ_zps4fe9aff3.jpg

yellowtort_zps779984e2.jpg

blvoodoo_zps84c5dff6.jpg

hnhmilli_zps8b970402.jpg

psychoberry_zps567f1f1e.jpg

Last edited:

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your picture skills are progressing nicely, as is the tank. I love seeing 200DD's...gets me pumped for my build in a few months!

OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'm having a great time growing frags into colonies. Also, photography has become a whole new interest which goes hand in hand with reefkeeping.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your thread here. Nice selection of acros and great photos of them. Love seeing another Michigander on here, especially a fellow SPS enthusiast. Suscribed.

OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your thread here. Nice selection of acros and great photos of them. Love seeing another Michigander on here, especially a fellow SPS enthusiast. Suscribed.

Thanks! I have your Jingle Bells acro in my tank. I picked it up at the Lansing swap two years ago from you. I need to get a pic of it. Your tank was a big inspiration to me when I went 95% acros!

Amazing Acros
Wow! Thanks! I LOVE acros!

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have your Jingle Bells acro in my tank. I picked it up at the Lansing swap two years ago from you. I need to get a pic of it. Your tank was a big inspiration to me when I went 95% acros!

Wow! Thanks! I LOVE acros!

Wow. Thank you. I take that as a huge compliment.

That jingle Bell's is a sweet piece for sure when it is colored up and happy. Thankfully it is not too hard to accomplish that. I recently lost two thirds or more of my colony unfortunately, and what is left is definitely not happy.

OP
OP
lakeviewink

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thank you. I take that as a huge compliment.

That jingle Bell's is a sweet piece for sure when it is colored up and happy. Thankfully it is not too hard to accomplish that. I recently lost two thirds or more of my colony unfortunately, and what is left is definitely not happy.

I don't know why, exactly, but it has been difficult to keep it happy. My learning curve has been huge since getting it. At least it's still alive lol. It's definitely not an easy acro in my book, it's been challenging to say the least.

Back