Lamotte Mg Test Compared to Triton?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
2,496
Reaction score
3,465
Location
East Bay, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've been less than impressed with the typical hobbyist Mg test kits. I've been testing aquarium water with various kits for decades and have what I consider very consistent technique (very close readings when using a single kit), but I have found that Mg kit readings can vary greatly between brands and even between kits from the same manufacturer. My latest issue is a Salifert Mg kit that tested 1200 for my new salt water and a second new kit that tested 1410 for the same new salt water.

I'm seriously considering the more expensive, and hopefully more accurate, Lamotte Total Hardness test kit for total, calcium and magnesium hardness. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it...and, out of curiousity, if the results obtained from it have ever been compared directly to a Triton test result?
 
I've not actually seen a comparison of it, but there are a bunch of magnesium tests compared here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...os-elos-salifert-api-hanna-triton-awt.234660/

Thanks, Randy. I've looked through these testing threads and it's interesting that the Salifert kit used was closest to Triton testing for Mg. Interestingly, my Salifert Mg test result was slightly over 200 ppm lower than my Triton test results.

Luckily, the acceptable range for this element is quite broad, but I'd like to at least keep the ball in the ballpark, so to speak :) For me, I think Lamoote may be the way to go, especially for consistency.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new