Lam's 180 build

itche_scratche

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2013
Messages
132
Reaction score
12
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got permission to upgrade my tank from 120 to 180 gallon for the holiday season.
Here is my current 120 gal.
20151228_170441.jpg
 
I like Laird also, what brand of acrylic are you going to use?
 
I ordered 2 1/2" sheet of Plexiglass G acrylic sheet.
I also have them cut to size for me also.
I will have the pics of the cut tomorrow.
 
Time to start welding the display tank.
I'm a little nervous.
Taking a deep breath, here we go.
20160105_212153.jpg
20160105_212214.jpg
 
Looking good. I have always wanted to try my hand at acrylic but just to nervous.
 
Great new build!
 
I noticed on your frag tank pic you were prepping your edge with a hacksaw blade. Is that the same method you are going to use on the 180?
 
No, my display was laser cut by the place i purchased the acrylic. I would recommend you to have them to cut it for you. Its very smooth and perfect 90. It will make your diy a lot easier, nicer bonding edge, and most of all piece of mind. My frag tank are from the left over acrylic. I cutted it with circular saw. It not that bad. But not good enough for display tank. Since its a frag tank that sit in my back room, i dint really care that much about the look.
 
I prep my edges with a router.
Just curious about the heat that the laser would cause to the edge? Wouldnt that change the molecular structure of the acrylic?
 
They called a laser cut but actually not a laser. It a CNC high pitch circular saw. The edge come out as good or better than the router.
When i ordered the cut, i asked them to prep the edge for bond ready. That way i dont have to prep the bonding edge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new