Lanthanum chloride into skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter cilyjr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2011
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
2,193
Location
Arroyo Grande
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been injecting LaCl for a few years now in my current tank. I'm changing my display to a larger tank. As a result, I bought a new larger skimmer.

I am hesitant to drill a hole in a new skimmer so I printed this, but I've been thinking that lanthanum tends to precipitate and am wondering if having it on the intake might mess with the impeller.
Any thoughts?
PXL_20250727_001726643.jpg
PXL_20250727_001711047.jpg
 
I’m not sure how much precipitation will stick to the impeller, but I would not add other precipitating solutions right by an impeller (such as carbonate or hydroxide solutions).

If you can remove it periodically for cleaning, then I’d do it and open it back up after a few weeks and see what is happening. If it’s an issue, then you can either plan to soak it in acid periodically, or remove it and come up with a new plan.
 
Last edited:
I’m not sure how much precipitation will stick to the impeller, but I would not add other precipitating solutions right by an impeller (such as carbonate or hydroxide solutions).

If you can remove it periodically for cleaning, than I’d do it and open it back up after a few weeks and see what is happening. If it’s an issue, then you can either plan to soak it in acid periodically, or remove it and come up with a new plan.
Thanks,

I may just bite the bullet and use a stepper bit to drill a hole in the body.
That's what's worked for my current skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new