Lanthanum

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know how to clean deposites from using Lanthanum chloride.
I have a thick deposit in the tube leading up in the skimmer cup.
I just of others having it on the front panel in a tank. I realize one must empty the tank but then???

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know how to clean deposites from using Lanthanum chloride.
I have a thick deposit in the tube leading up in the skimmer cup.
I just of others having it on the front panel in a tank. I realize one must empty the tank but then???
@Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such deposits are likely lanthanum carbonate and/or lanthanum phosphate.

If you can expose them to acid, then like calcium carbonate they should dissolve. In the tank, a razor blade may be needed.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you tank made with low iron glass?
There is a recent thread where some owners of tanks with low iron glass whoe are also dosing Lanthanum, are noticing a haze on their glass that wont come out.

OP
OP
S

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the thread i was reading and found so interesting that i wanted a solution. I tried vinegar (6%) on my skimmer neck with no visible change.
Can oxalic acid do it or do i have to go outdoors to use muriatic acid?
The precipation is much harder than calcium carbonate so a razorblade is impossible on acrylic.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not use Lanthanum chloride - I do not know about this problem at all

Sincerely Lasse
I was figuring more help translation, then we can figure this one out.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker

Oh - Its Stig’s Swenglish you want me to translate (and I´m honoured that you think that mine is better :) ) - to tell the truth - I have sometimes difficult to understand what Stig means even when we both speaks Swedish :)

I think he want to clean his skimmer neck (acryl) from precipitations he believes comes from the use of Lanthanum chloride. His normal trick for removing precipitates of limestone (6 % acetic acid) does not work

For the book - Stig is an old friend of me and one of the best reefers in Sweden (if not the best if you look at all dimensions of the hobby) and very active in the Swedish reefer forum

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem in writing because i always want to keep my entries at max 3 rows of text.
And this time i missed a whole word.
I just of others having it on the front panel in a tank. Should be: I just know of others having it on the front panel in a tank. (Lanthanum deposits)
And Lasse is a friend of mine since more than 20 years.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned a XL KZ skimmer that had been used for LaCl. It was pretty white..
I let it run in water and vineger(ättika in Swedish) for a couple of days. But it took a lot of scrubbing to get it clean. I didn't have to go to the gym that day...

PS
Nice to see that Swenglish get more and more common here at R2R. I try to contribute as much as I can :)

/ David

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I apologize to necro a thread but I just saw this on a search for lanthanum chloride use. I was getting ready to "possibly" use the product to lower phosphates during the actual tank cycle. That is, substrate, aquascape, primary display, and start the actual cycle. I just came across this thread which it mentioned the low iron glass (which I have to panes of) having a haze. Pukani dry rock is pretty phosphate heave I have read so thought this was a reasonable idea to help lower it before turning on the GFO or other media filters.

Is lanthanum chloride ok in the display to help lower phospates during the cycle or is this better outside? Never used it before - previous rock didn't require it. I'm not going for speed just trying to manage the phosphates and don't want to mess up the glass. Bad enough I'm trying to clean it after the leak check (guessing water/vinegar mix of some ratio in a spray bottle?).

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize to necro a thread but I just saw this on a search for lanthanum chloride use. I was getting ready to "possibly" use the product to lower phosphates during the actual tank cycle. That is, substrate, aquascape, primary display, and start the actual cycle. I just came across this thread which it mentioned the low iron glass (which I have to panes of) having a haze. Pukani dry rock is pretty phosphate heave I have read so thought this was a reasonable idea to help lower it before turning on the GFO or other media filters.

Is lanthanum chloride ok in the display to help lower phospates during the cycle or is this better outside? Never used it before - previous rock didn't require it. I'm not going for speed just trying to manage the phosphates and don't want to mess up the glass. Bad enough I'm trying to clean it after the leak check (guessing water/vinegar mix of some ratio in a spray bottle?).

I will not hurt the glass;) you need some type to filter floss, socks or skimmer to filter though.

U

User1

View Badges
I have a skimmer :) I don't use filter socks but I do have space in the sump that will allow me to place some floss or other material to filter it after the skimmer. Thank you for the tip / suggestion.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer :) I don't use filter socks but I do have space in the sump that will allow me to place some floss or other material to filter it after the skimmer. Thank you for the tip / suggestion.
once the phosphates bond to the lanthanum chloride some kind of filtration is need to filter both out.

U

User1

View Badges
once the phosphates bond to the lanthanum chloride some kind of filtration is need to filter both out.

Ok, thanks. The primary overflow drain is in with the skimmer. There is a bubble trap with egg crate which I could use to rest a sponge or floss media to filter. It would also be easy to replace. Hmm...

Maybe it would be smart of me to leave the rocks outside in their containers and add 1/2 - 1 ounce and let it sit for 24 hours. Then drain, rinse off the bonded stuff, refill with tap water, repeat. I can do that for a couple days then do a power wash on Saturday, add substrate, aquascape, and then add the ri/ro water with properly mixed salt?

Edit: btw - ty @jsker. Appreciated the information.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. The primary overflow drain is in with the skimmer. There is a bubble trap with egg crate which I could use to rest a sponge or floss media to filter. It would also be easy to replace. Hmm...

Maybe it would be smart of me to leave the rocks outside in their containers and add 1/2 - 1 ounce and let it sit for 24 hours. Then drain, rinse off the bonded stuff, refill with tap water, repeat. I can do that for a couple days then do a power wash on Saturday, add substrate, aquascape, and then add the ri/ro water with properly mixed salt?

Edit: btw - ty @jsker. Appreciated the information.
You are welcome

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back