Large black patches on clownfish

hoardingcorals

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2019
Messages
298
Reaction score
356
Location
Atlantis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm familiar with the little black burn spots clownfish will get when they pick LPS as a host. All of my clowns have had it in the past. However, these seem to be a lot larger than normal. Its partner has a few spots that are a little larger, but nothing close to what is pictured. I suspect it has started rubbing against the overgrown Raja Rampage frag that is growing down from the frag rack. It doesn't look like black ich and I'm not aware of any other infections that look like it (although I'm not familiar enough to confidently rule it out).

The only other fish are a mandarin and royal gramma. Both of which appear normal. All fish are acting normal.

I'm pretty sure it is just an especially bad case of coral burns and am hoping someone can confirm. Do Mycedium pack an especially potent sting against fish, did I end up with yet another clownfish that is a particularly aggressive LPS snuggler, or is there something else I should be looking into?
 
Here are the pictures:
IMG_4389.jpeg
IMG_4387.jpeg
IMG_4386.jpeg
 
Here are the pictures:
IMG_4389.jpeg
IMG_4387.jpeg
IMG_4386.jpeg

That isn't black ich (Turbellarian worms). It does look like really bad coral stings, but to be honest, I keep all our clownfish in tanks with just anemones, so I don't have a good handle on what species of corals can cause a bad sting like that.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new