Large blonde naso for my tank ......

  • Thread starter Thread starter lsingh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,100
Reaction score
83
Location
san antonio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at this fish at DD and he is roughly 7 to 8" long ...really tempting fish but don't Wana stress out the big guy ...I hve seen fellow refers keeping many tangs in 6' long tank ....
My tanks dimension r 72x33x24...
What's ur alls opinion .....???
qusy3upa.jpg
 
Last edited:
So far u hve
3x borbonious Anthias
3x Bartlett Anthias
3x ignitious Anthias
4" purple tang
Mystery wrasse

Really like naso on dd but its 8" ..
I hope they all be fine
 
I think you will be fine.Its a beautiful fish and I think you should pull the trigger on it,then post lots of pics!!!
 
I am going to go against the grain --- I would not get any N. elegans in an 6 foot tank. IMO/E, an 8 footer is the min, and still pushing it.

About 20 years ago I kept a full sized one for a friend who was moving in a 4 foot tank. It would go from one end to the next in about a second, don't see a 2 foot longer tank being any better. The wake that the fish created was incredible and messy. This fish can get well over a foot long, and are beasts.
 
I have one in my 400 72x36x36 it gets along great with everyone, I feed Nori everyday and it goes crazy for it.
 
I am going to go against the grain --- I would not get any N. elegans in an 6 foot tank. IMO/E, an 8 footer is the min, and still pushing it.

About 20 years ago I kept a full sized one for a friend who was moving in a 4 foot tank. It would go from one end to the next in about a second, don't see a 2 foot longer tank being any better. The wake that the fish created was incredible and messy. This fish can get well over a foot long, and are beasts.

I will double up on Trex's advice.

While I will give credit for at least not having a 4' tank like the example given, I do think Unicorns in general (which Naso's are a part of) should be allowed to grow up in as large an environment as possible....otherwise it's unlikely they will be able to grow properly to adult size or be very happy. Remember, even at 8" he's still a juvenile.

It may also be worth pointing out that he may not acclimate as well at the size he is vs a 3-5" juvenile. Last, being plucked from the wild and not farmed, if you fail with him it's not just a loss of money or animal - it's bad karma.

-Matt

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should."
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new