Large chiller on EB4 - keeps tripping circuit breaker

jjfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Teco chiller (1 HP/900W) attached to an EB4 (nothing else on it). It's got hot and the chiller is busy. It typically runs a few days before tripping the breaker. Happened once while I was on vacay but didn't lose anything luckily.

Is this chiller too heavy of a load to run on the Apex? What are other people doing to run heavy-load items and still connect to Apex?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're looking at a draw of 8+ amps with that chiller. If I'm not mistake, one outlet on an EB4 is rated for 12 amps.....use that outlet. Also note that you can't exceed 15 amps total with an EB4.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outlet #3 on the EB4 is the one rated for 12 amps. Be sure to use that one.

48D2108A-497E-494D-8E65-E339B64CAD39.jpeg

As @redfishbluefish mentioned, you can’t exceed 15 amps total on the EB4.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to open your panel and put an amp meter on the circuit that’s tripping and see what the total amp load is. Circuit could be tied into other things in the house don’t know until you open the panel.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tripping the breaker for your house or the breaker on the power strip? A 1hp chiller is quite large and may be exceeding the max current of the string of outlets that are connected to that circuit. There is a inrush current when the chiller first powers up. See if you can get that rating from the manufacturer of the chiller.

OP
OP
J

jjfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this tripping the breaker for your house or the breaker on the power strip? A 1hp chiller is quite large and may be exceeding the max current of the string of outlets that are connected to that circuit. There is a inrush current when the chiller first powers up. See if you can get that rating from the manufacturer of the chiller.
Tripping the breaker on the eb4. Will check with Teco for that info. Thanks

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tripping the breaker on the eb4. Will check with Teco for that info. Thanks
Does the chiller itself have a breaker? If so if it has a current rating listed then the supply to the chiller should at least have the same rating or more.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use for my chiller. Plugs directly into a 20 Amp circuit outlet. There is a reseller that still carries this.

20210606_082908.jpg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use for my chiller. Plugs directly into a 20 Amp circuit outlet. There is a reseller that still carries this.

20210606_082908.jpg
This may be the ticket for you. You don't want to keep tripping the breaker. Most breakers use a bimetal strip and the current generates enough heat to bend the strip causing the breaker to trip. The only issue is that the disconnect causes a spark across the contacts that are connected to the same strip. This causes a higher resistance in the contacts which causes heat depending on the current. The more the breaker trips then the less current it will take the next time. This is usually not an issue with a few trips but the more it trips the more damage to the contacts that spark will make each time. I know this is a simplified version of what happens but it gives an idea why you don't want to keep tripping any breaker. Fix the issue in some safe way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jjfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Ordering the expansion socket now. Super helpful all

OP
OP
J

jjfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering I can use this relay switch for my purposes? I’d plug the chiller directly into a wall outlet and control it through the apex

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering I can use this relay switch for my purposes? I’d plug the chiller directly into a wall outlet and control it through the apex

If it's like a ReefKeeper (old technology), that's exactly what the extension socket does. Dedicated plug that goes directly into a wall outlet that runs the high amperage item, and a second plug that goes to the EB8 that tells the extension outlet when to turn on and off. I use one on my ReefKeeper for my two heaters.....similar issue, ReefKeeper can't take all that amps directly, so it's only used to tell the extension outlet when to turn on and off.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn't that more expensive than the one already posted?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back