Large Crab ID

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just picked this guy up at my LFS. Guy said he was a pest hitchhiker so I bought it off him for a couple bucks. His body is probably about 3 inches wide not including the claws/legs. He's pretty big. He's munching on some octopus I just gave him.
IMG_0738.jpeg
I bought it for my mantis shrimp. Anybody know what kind of crab he is? Don't know if I should keep him in the display or put him in the sump until the peacock mantis is hungry. Thanks guys.

IMG_0739.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tel from the pic ! Put him in the sump.

What would the dangers of keeping him in the display be? Would he start taking corals out? I can get a better picture if it would help. Any specific angles I should go for?
I can put him in the sump. It will just be a pain to try to dig him out of all the rock rubble when it's feeding time.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suggesting sump. It is you call;)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with KJ. How long before he's dinner? Sure you can even capture it when the time comes if it's in the display? Be a lot easier in the sump .
As for an Id The black claw almost looks like a stone crab .

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the answer DT or sump?

I'm still not seeing what you are trying to say. An octopus is not a coral...
Like I said, I bought him for my mantis shrimp. Obviously I have a tank that can handle a mantis shrimp, will this guy do any extra damage (mostly referring to coral). I'm not worried about fish, snails or hermits.

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with KJ. How long before he's dinner? Sure you can even trap it in the display? be a lot easier in the sump .

Surprisingly, it's easier for me to catch him in the display. Hard to explain, but my sump would just make it a little more difficult to catch him at feeding time. Mantis shrimp is already up there in the display with him. I'm just wondering if I can leave him there to be eaten without worrying about him taking out zoas, monti, euphyllia or other LPS.

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the answer DT or sump?

Sorry, I just realized I didn't mention coral being my main concern in the post. Coral is what I'm worried about. Not so much livestock. The mantis shrimp is the real bully in there.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, banish to the sump :D

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly, it's easier for me to catch him in the display. Hard to explain, but my sump would just make it a little more difficult to catch him at feeding time. Mantis shrimp is already up there in the display with him. I'm just wondering if I can leave him there to be eaten without worrying about him taking out zoas, monti, euphyllia or other LPS.
;Wideyed;Jawdrop You have a Mantis shrimp in you DT.

OP
OP
B

BlakeK.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Wideyed;Jawdrop You have a Mantis shrimp in you DT.

Haha yep. He's pretty cool and doesn't go after any of the fish. Just snails, crabs, and whatever frozen shrimp, octopus, clam etc I give him. I don't keep any expensive fish though so I was willing to try it out. He's been in there for a month and a half with no problems.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yep. He's pretty cool and doesn't go after any of the fish. Just snails, crabs, and whatever frozen shrimp, octopus, clam etc I give him. I don't keep any expensive fish though so I was willing to try it out. He's been in there for a month and a half with no problems.
Good luck my friend. Let me know how she is doing in couple months in you DT;)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK , I see now ! You have the mantis in the same tank & there are corals in there also. You keep feeding the crab real good I'd think it will leave the coral alone. It won't will be around for very long .​

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back