Large fowlr fish compatibility

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the far future, I am planning/dreaming on getting a very big fowlr tank (100s of gallons) to house the fish I can not keep in a reef. I am planning on keeping many butterflies, angels, triggers, wrasse etc. There are a few fish however that may have problems with other fish.

Triggers (clown, humu, niger) - these are what I see as problem triggers. Will they bite flowing fins? I have a humu and niger and they never bit.
Porcupine or spiny box puffer- Will they bite other fish? I have no experience with puffers.
Lionfish - Eat smaller fish. The smallest fish in the fowlr would be small butterflies, dwarf angels (flame and coral), leopard wrasse, and dragonettes. Will lionfish eat them? Fins may get nipped by others? No experience with lionfish.
Hi fin snapper- Eat smaller fish? The smallest fish in the fowlr would be small butterflies, dwarf angels (flame and coral), leopard wrasse, and dragonettes. No experience with this species.
Miniatus grouper- Eat smaller fish? The smallest fish in the fowlr would be small butterflies, dwarf angels (flame and coral), leopard wrasse, and dragonettes. No experience with groupers.
If it helps, I will buy every fish when they are small and they will grow up together and will not reach the max size as listed on the internet to prevent aggression and predation.

I would love to be able to keep all of them, but dreams and reality are often different. Do I need to remove all of them from my dream list? Only one or two? Is there a possibility I can keep them all?

Thanks and Happy Reefing!

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep most of those, and most of them together, depending on size of the tank. The lion and grouper will definitely eat small fish, so I would avoid the smaller wrasses, dragonettes, dwarf angels.

For me to give more specific stocking advice, I'd like to see gallons and dimensions.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a shame. I really hoped I can put all these fish togther. I do not know how big the tank will be. It is a dream in the future. Perhaps 8 feet? 10?

npats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all of these in a tank with no problem. It's all about how you introduce them to the tank

Fish list
Angels
Chrysurus
Blue ring
Queen
King
Imperator
Blue face

Tang
Naso
Blonde naso
Sailfin
Carribean
2 blue Tang
Yellow belly blue tang
Powder blue
Purple

Triggers
Picasso
Niger
Clown

Puffer
Stars and stripes
Blue spot

Damsels
Yellow tail
3 blue yellow

Wrasse
Sunset
Lunare
2 bird

Eel
Snowflake
Zebra

Others
Princess Parrotfish
4 monos
Midas blenny
2 clowns
Magnificent Fox face
2 saddleback clown
Cow fish
Heniochus
Harlequin tusk

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all of these in a tank with no problem. It's all about how you introduce them to the tank

Fish list
Angels
Chrysurus
Blue ring
Queen
King
Imperator
Blue face

Tang
Naso
Blonde naso
Sailfin
Carribean
2 blue Tang
Yellow belly blue tang
Powder blue
Purple

Triggers
Picasso
Niger
Clown

Puffer
Stars and stripes
Blue spot

Damsels
Yellow tail
3 blue yellow

Wrasse
Sunset
Lunare
2 bird

Eel
Snowflake
Zebra

Others
Princess Parrotfish
4 monos
Midas blenny
2 clowns
Magnificent Fox face
2 saddleback clown
Cow fish
Heniochus
Harlequin tusk
I would love to hear more about this tank. How big is it?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your talking about a tank hundreds of gallons, exactly how many would help but assuming large enough you should be able to keep all or most of what you want. The triggers won't be a problem, I have a Clown, Assasi, Pinktail, Huma and Niger all living currently in a 90g reef tank with 10 other fish with no issues. The lions or groupers won't bother a thing unless they eat your fish which would be any fish that they even think will fit in their mouths. Here's a vid and pic of my tank and the fish getting pumped up for feeding time.
20210224_155511.jpg

Back