Large Montipora

  • Thread starter Thread starter 50clay50
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

50clay50

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large red Montipora, well over 9in wide, what would something like this be worth? Is there a market or should I frag out?

Thanks

IMG_6693.png IMG_6702.png IMG_6695.png
 
For monti cap, I break off chunks, let them heal, then sell for super cheap. Otherwise something that size will sit in my tank forever. Your experience may vary.
 
For better or worse, it's main value is to you. Treasure it. (It's beautiful!!!!)

"Weedy" corals like these naturally keep the market saturated, so at most you'll "sell" frags to just your local friends. I don't think I've managed to get more than $10 a frag, and bigger isn't usually better....folks want frag sized frags to start with. Grow more colors and keep it interesting for you.

IMO unless you are making this a specimen tank (and this coral makes an AWESOME specimen...seen sone real biggies) don't be afraid to wreck the colony and make it start over. Sounds horrible, and I was never very good at it, but it's real.... :) On the upside, I have saved some massive skeletons from corals I've had to remove for space reasons....they're still around and might become "live rock" someday.
 
Post it on market place or some local groups. If someone has a larger tank they are trying to fill could get $150+ for it imo. It’s a very cheap coral but some people don’t want to wait a year or two for a frag to grow out
 
I have a large red Montipora, well over 9in wide, what would something like this be worth? Is there a market or should I frag out?

Thanks

IMG_6693.png IMG_6702.png IMG_6695.png
I wish my frags would grow that fast!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new