Large sump suggestions or recommendations?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hit a stumbling block getting everything together for a new tank. I am having a tough time with the sump. I'm going to use a remote "closet" so the display tank is quiet. It is really area under a stairwell I am opening up to re-purpose for this project. The space is not very large so I don't have room for the more common setups with Rubbermaid containers I've been seeing on this forum.

In my search I haven't found a lot of options. All of the typical aquarium sumps I've found are too small and are setup in a way that does not maximize water volume for my needs. Does anyone have any experience using something like this S103200? I haven't been able to confirm dimensions with them yet but the pictures seem to indicate it is a rectangular tank with straight / non-tapered sidewalls which works best for my space. I'm waiting on a response for technical drawings... hopefully they are cooperative. The listed dimensions are 85" x 20" x 28" and it is made out of polyethylene for the purpose of aquaculture according to what I've been able to read.

The 85" length and 20" width would be just a touch over what I had told myself would be the max for the space. But it is the best option I've discovered so far.

I am planning to use the triton method for the system. My thoughts are I would divide this tank into two chaeto sections with alternating light cycles, a section large enough to house the skimmer, and then the remainder of the space for agitating the dosing liquids and pooling water to feed the return pumps. Any other recommendations that might help me achieve this or something similar/better would also be appreciated.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about having one custom made from acrylic? I build all my own and I’m sure there’s a builder on the forums or possibly even close to you that could do it. There’s also a great diy thread on acrylic here.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You connect multiple pieces together so you're not limited to just have it in a straight line. Seems like a good customizable system.

That is really cool. That is what I was originally planning to do with individual containers for flexibility but everything I was finding had around 5 inches of wasted space in all directions and was tapered pretty severely which is a problem with my limited space. Going to look into this further =)

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about having one custom made from acrylic? I build all my own and I’m sure there’s a builder on the forums or possibly even close to you that could do it. There’s also a great diy thread on acrylic here.

I thought about it but I think I want to avoid making the water containers myself for peace of mind that they aren't going to burst and flood my floors

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back