Large Tank Nutrient Management

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm looking for scientific ways to controlling nutrients in a large tank. I have around 25 fish. Many of them larger tangs and reef safe angel fish. I have a broad spectrum of coral, everything from xenia, duncans, candy canes, gonipora, softies, ricordea, massive toad stool, and many acropora, and other SPS. Amazingly most all, if not all are doing great! So, I don't want to break anything.

But, how do those of you with larger tanks manage nutrients. Primarily Nitrates?

My Display is a custom 340 gallon, with 75 gallon custom sump.

I'm running the following:

Large Bubble magus filter roller (around 2400 gph in through my overflows. I go through a roll of paper every 3 weeks.
A Diablo Reef Octopus skimmer (rated for a moderate load at 500 gallons)
A cannister filter converted to being filled with Matrix rock to aid with denitrification bacteria.
I'm dosing straight vodka at around 30 ml per day
I'm running a Turbo Aquatics Algae scrubber (L4). I clean the algae off every 2 weeks.

If I do a 50% water change my nitrates are back up to 30+ within 2 weeks. If they stayed 30 I'd be happy, ideally 20-30 is the max I'd like to see.

I accidently dosed 180 ml vodka over 3 hour period, and that reduced my nitrates the next day from 33 to 22. So, increasing my vodka dosing to 100 ml a day probably isn't a good idea.

N tested today at 30.8 and P at .06. (Hanna Testers)

Phosphate is staying where I want it for corals. For the health of the fish and coral I'd like nitrates to not raise every 2 weeks. By my assessment my nitrates rise at a rate of .5 to 1 ppm per day.

Do I need to increase phosphates in order to lower nitrates? How do you manage nutrients without changing out 150-200 gallons of water every 2-3 weeks?

As far as trace elements, I'm dosing, alk, calcium, and all for reef to maintain parameters. That's been stable for 3+ years. Alk at around 8.5 - 9, calcium around 450-500 and Mg at around 1500-1540.

I would like to have closer to 40 fish, but, I need a nitrate control method that will scale with more fish waste and more fish food. I feed only home made frozen food and nori. A whole sheet of nori per day and around 1-2 oz of frozen food.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a large tank with lots of large fiah. Handling nutrients is certainly the biggeat challenge. You could setup a sulfur denitrator and ditch the canister filter. Theyre just hard to find lately. I would also recommend trying biopellets over vodka dosing but both accomplish the same thing. You just dont have to worry about over dosing.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur denitrator. Saves so much money over water changing nitrates away.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of media do you use in a sulfur denitrator. I don't see any sulfur media available on BRS. just the Bio pellets. Not sure what makes it "sulfur" (I assumed it was the media?).
I use the granular pellets that came with the reactor. After you asked this I started looking and could not find it for sale anywhere. I use to purchase it from Marine Depot. Its odd that BRS would sell the reactor but not the media. I would be leary of using any other sulfur that is meant for fertilizer because it is bound with clay and intended to break down into the soil.

I did find some in Germany.

61 Euros after shipping to the US.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back