Large yellow/white lump on my Springer Damsel

Yamo25000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210515_134118.jpg

When I first noticed this spot on my damsel, it was white. I did some research and thought it might by lymphocystia, so I moved it to a quarantine tank, but now it looks yellow and less like a lump.

Aquarium is very new (about 4 weeks old) and tank mates are a blue spotted puffer, another springer damsel, a flame fin tang, a flame fin blennie, and a royal gramma.

I don't have the ability to get hard numbers on all my water conditions, I just have color-coded test strips. The salinity is right around 1.027

Is this a disease, injury, or something else? And should I quarantine?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That isn't Lymphocystis. It is most likely a bacterial or (rarely) a fungal disease. However, its location - right in the abdomen, is in a VERY serious spot! What tends to happen in these cases is that the fish's abdomen is breached, and the infection becomes systemic - the fish's internal organs have become infected. I see that the fish's right pelvic fin is almost totally eaten away. I'm afraid there isn't anything you can do for this fish - sorry!

It is unlikely that this issue will spread to your other fish, but you need to ensure the water quality is kept at its best. A specific gravity of 1.027 is a bit high - natural seawater is 1.025. If you can locate a good ammonia test kit, you should buy one to ensure that the ammonia level of the tank is kept at less than 0.25 ppm ammonia.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back