Larger Clownfish Shaking at Smaller Clown

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

Just curious, I introduced a smaller clown into my tank today, and the larger one (original) kinda curves itself and shakes towards the smaller one. They did a little chasing but now they are in the corner together. Is the bigger one showing dominance or what does this “mean”
I guess? Lol
Thank you so much for your help!

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

Just curious, I introduced a smaller clown into my tank today, and the larger one (original) kinda curves itself and shakes towards the smaller one. They did a little chasing but now they are in the corner together. Is the bigger one showing dominance or what does this “mean”
I guess? Lol
Also, the larger one moves away back to the normal spot and then comes back to shake some more at the smaller clown.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there!

I guess? Lol
[please post a video under white light intensity but likely clown hierarchy and squabbling as they often do

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From my reading it is generally a dominance thing but can also be related to mating/pairing up. Given you just added the second clown today I would guess it is dominance related in this case.

Mine shake at each other from time to time.

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully that’s good… the larger is the orange one about 2-2.5 inches and the black is about 1-1.25 inches.. thing is the smaller one just kinda ignores it? I’m not sure… thank you all for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2237.mov
    72.9 MB
OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my reading it is generally a dominance thing but can also be related to mating/pairing up. Given you just added the second clown today I would guess it is dominance related in this case.

Mine shake at each other from time to time.

Thank you! I did post a video as requested from the other two responders!

agueybana81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the larger one moves away back to the normal spot and then comes back to shake some more at the smaller clown.
This is very likely part of their dominance "rituals", nothing to worry about. You might see some random aggression until they fully pair up and even then, don't be surprise if the female shows aggression every now then. That's just clowns being well clowns.

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very likely part of their dominance "rituals", nothing to worry about. You might see some random aggression until they fully pair up and even then, don't be surprise if the female shows aggression every now then. That's just clowns being well clowns.

I appreciate the help! Hopefully the bigger one doesn’t bully my other one to death :( I named them Anput and Anubis (Egyptian gods) and I think Anubis fits the black snowflake clown perfectly!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hopefully that’s good… the larger is the orange one about 2-2.5 inches and the black is about 1-1.25 inches.. thing is the smaller one just kinda ignores it? I’m not sure… thank you all for the help!
You have a dominant female which will be a problem child. This is known as mentioned clown hierarchy and not a mating dance. It is where the female clownfish is much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food when added to the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a dominant female which will be a problem child. This is known as mentioned clown hierarchy and not a mating dance. It is where the female clownfish is much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food when added to the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open

Oh man. Well, I will put her in my acclimation box and give them time.

When I clean the tank she doesn’t usually bother me, kinda comes up to check me out then swims away. I will separate her from him, and hope for the best. He’s in the corner where my flow maker is now :(

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So now that she is separated, my male clown now won’t leave the box she’s in. Clowns are confusing lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So now that she is separated, my male clown now won’t leave the box she’s in. Clowns are confusing lol
Thats normal but you will see male more out in the open and resuming normal swim behavior

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back