OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maxima is roughly 8-9" the derasa is about 3.5".
6d2e44c7e5cca560d2d5f8a3e35e9ef1.jpg

Very cool, what size tank is it in?

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of using giant clams as center pieces for our reefs, and a peninsula style tank with a showpiece clam would be a sight to see. They make the perfect colorful accent to a large reef. But I have learned that they present a unique challenge when they reach a certain size in proportion to the rest of the aquarium contents like live, rock, corals, and fish. I've found this out the hard way after growing my 30" Gigas for almost 10 years. When a clam or anything for that matter becomes the largest living structure in a reef, it will create its own little reef within a reef, and what makes clams very unique is that they have the ability to directly feed the inhabitants that seek shelter in the contours of the mantle and shell. Everyday at least twice a day the clam belches a smorgasbord of food that the fish love to devour. So with time they will associate the clam with food and eventually they will take a bite. I can't tell how may fish I've gone through over the years that all started off as "clam safe" only to turn the clam into an 100+lb buffet. Then comes the filtration capacities of these monsters when it comes to their consumption of N and Ps. It is very hard to quantify but I can tell you it is significant. When the clam is "ON" it can filter a 500+ gallon system. Finally the calcium and alk demand is incredible. I use 3 cups of BRS CACL and 3 cups of baking soda every week. I think these are just a few things that make owning a large clam uniquely challenging, and why I think many people get rid of large clams once they get to a certain size. When my Gigas dies I don't see myself getting another, even if it was given to me. In my opinion it really limits your options when it comes to fish and corals. Also what do you if a 100+lb clam dies in your tank? Or spawns? Which it does every summer.
P1170590.JPG

I was able to resolve some of my issues by using 3 tanks instead of one large "clam tank". 2- 36"x30"x25 and the clam tank is 60"x30"x31".
P1170660.JPG

P1170587.JPG
Wow! That is stunning.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have to ‘put them up for adoption’ at some point if you don’t have a huge tank?
Well, according to documentary the clam will out last you in their life time before it out grow your tank (NOT APPLY TO GIGAS this thing is a beast and grow way too fast)
EX: From documentary information if you keep a baby Maxima (2 inches is common size to buy from LFS) and grow them up to its max size then it would take 50~60 years. Derasa grow faster but still need many years to get it grow to max size. So very rare for someone able to keep 1 clam from baby and grow them to full max size because you would either die before that or something wrong happen along the way and kill the clam.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read an article about clams that said:

upload_2017-11-7_22-10-37.png

They don't cite any sources for the claims, but if true, these things get truly massive. Hopefully someone with a truly massive clam can chime in regarding age/tank size/measurements of weight and length x width!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an old black & white John Wayne movie when I was a kid. This guy got his ankle caught in a giant clam. He was after a huge pearl. Now that clam was a lot bigger than 4 ft ! :rolleyes:
But seriously those clam pics were awesome !

RainbowReefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy V, very interesting and cool setup! What's the sump situation for all 3 tanks?

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first maxima about a week ago. Seems to be doing well. Are there any tips to keeping them happy and healthy? For some reason, mine decided to take refuge between my hammers last night. Is this common?
OI000011.jpg
OI000011.jpg

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible!
How do you deal with the spawning?
I have an 10" squamosa, and although i have not noted any spawning, i do worry about it happening when i least expexted.
I saw a video in youtube about a reefer having water quality problems when his gigant clam spawned.
The first few times I was very nervous. I did massive water changes because my skimmer was going nuts. Then it kept on doing it night after night. I gave up on the water changes and just let whatever was going to happen, happen. There was nothing I could do about it anyways. Luckily nothing happened, and like someone already mentioned the fauna appeared to be healthier afterwards. The polyp extension on the SPS was incredible. Now every summer around July/August it will spawn for a week or so. I just ignore that I can barly see into the tank because of the cloud it produces.

Here is a video of mine spawning over 5 years ago. This is very mild compared to what it produces now.

Just marvelous! As in I am marveled!
Thank you!

Do they always get that big or do they adapt to the tank they’re in?
Good question.

I wondered this myself until it started to grow and grow. To a point where it would blow water out of the tank when it was startled or belched. I've gone through several MH bulbs because of this. This is one of the main reasons why I upgraded tanks a year ago. I needed a tank deeper than the 8'x2'x2' 240 that it was in. This tank has seen many large clams over the years, and most I've donated to other hobbyist once they get too large for me to easily maintain without causing harm to the other inhabitants.

This pic is from June 2012. (left to right) 9" Teardrop Maxima, 18" Gigas, 5" Squamosa, 14" Squamosa
P1030983.jpg

August 2016 This is the last pic of the system before the upgrade.
P1140669_zpsa9ucovej.jpg

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have to ‘put them up for adoption’ at some point if you don’t have a huge tank?
This is a true statement. I toyed with the idea of donating it to SeaWorld San Antonio. My friend Jim Norris donated his Gigas back in 2003,and from what I've heard they lost it in an unfortunate accident. I knew that if I upgraded it would need to be a hybrid glass and acrylic tank in order to handle the weight on the bottom of the tank.

I saw an old black & white John Wayne movie when I was a kid. This guy got his ankle caught in a giant clam. He was after a huge pearl. Now that clam was a lot bigger than 4 ft ! :rolleyes:
But seriously those clam pics were awesome !
Too funny! As a child my uncle told me stories of a man-eating clam he encountered while diving. Who knew... I thought he was just kidding me.

Last edited:

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clam is in a tank at a restaurant and the owner happens to be into reef tanks. He had the tank built for this clam. It is a giga. I saw it once, absolutely magnificent. Owner says around 2'x2' when fully open. Oddly enough he is trying to sell it, just wants $3k for it.
post-2631591-0-46761100-1484272430.jpg
post-2631591-0-68803400-1484272421.jpg

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy V, very interesting and cool setup! What's the sump situation for all 3 tanks?

All three systems are plumbed together with a single 75 gallon sump under the center tank. A Vertex 250 skimmer which I cycle on and off, 2 medical dosing pumps for CA and Alk, and Sicce 5 and a 1900gph DC pump for return.
IMG_20160829_185658802.jpg

When I changed to the new system I lost the Xenia refugium I was running for years. This was a critical part of my old system. I have been trying to build the population of Xenia back up to its former glory so I can turn the skimmer off permanently again.

Here is a video of the Xenia fuge that filtered my last system, and what I am trying to achieve again. I have a 30 gallon tall tank in the right stand that will be used for this once I get a enough Xenia.

caver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those prices are great from what i've been able to find, even online! Are you in California by chance? Seems all of the affordable and easily accessible things are either in California or Florida... Definitely not in Michigan =(

Take a look at pruess pets in Lansing they usually have them if not talk with the owner rick he will get them in for you. They always have some of the best live stock but corals hit and miss.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigas is the clam that will get huge in the aquarium. Hasn't been available for a while (8 years or so) for various reasons, so any that persist in folks tanks will be huge by now. I had a beautiful green and yellow one that got to about a foot before I sold it. Still regret it to this day.

Back