Last fish for my 15g

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I just realised this is not the right discussion thread, my bad but if you can help me out anyways)Hey just wanted some advice on what to get for my 15g. I already have 2 clowns, 2 gobys, a rockpool shrimp and a pistol shrimp, and an unidentified crab(just found out) so i wanted to hear your options. Probably something colorful that doesnt stick to the bottom of the tank as much. Btw before you say i shouldnt get another fish because of the byoload i do weekly water changes and i will probably add macro soon so i think im good.

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you’re fully stocked as it is doubtful the clowns will give up any territory.
Yhea but some fish dont seem to bother them too much from what ive seen even in small tanks like firefish, blennys, wrasses.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd say your full and it has nothing to do with your bioload and everything to do with territory. While your clowns are happy now all it might take is one more addition and they can turn REAL nasty. JMO and take it for what it's worth but I like to play on the safe side myself:)

BTW #mods can we get this moved to where he can get the best advice??

#Reefsquad any thoughts?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd say your full and it has nothing to do with your bioload and everything to do with territory. While your clowns are happy now all it might take is one more addition and they can turn REAL nasty. JMO and take it for what it's worth but I like to play on the safe side myself:)

#Reefsquad any thoughts?
moved to fish discussion :)

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioload aside, maybe a royal gramma will be able to handle its self, but I fear you may have a lot of territorial aggression.

Any pics?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#Reefsquad any thoughts?

Agreed, established clowns can be unholy terrors to new additions in smaller tanks and 4 fish is heavily stocked for a 15 gallon tank (and simply adding more biofilters doesn't account for the fact that ocean fish need space). I had a little snowflake occ clown that tried to claim my entire 36 gallon bowfront for himself upon his introduction (and he was the last fish I added). Thankfully an established goby and melanurus wrasse put that brat in his place.

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioload aside, maybe a royal gramma will be able to handle its self, but I fear you may have a lot of territorial aggression.

Any pics?
Thx for the advice. Ill put put up some pics soon

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, established clowns can be unholy terrors to new additions in smaller tanks and 4 fish is heavily stocked for a 15 gallon tank (and simply adding more biofilters doesn't account for the fact that ocean fish need space). I had a little snowflake occ clown that tried to claim my entire 36 gallon bowfront for himself upon his introduction (and he was the last fish I added). Thankfully an established goby and melanurus wrasse put that brat in his place.
Yhea i know clowns can be a pain in the neck thats why i wanted a fish that could take care of himself or not be bothered by them maybe a smaller fish wouldnt be seen as a threat by the clowns. If i could i would get a bigger fish on which the clowns couldnt pick on but since im working with limited space thatd not an option. Ive seen smaller wrasses that dont get harassed by other fish including clowns.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are definitely fully stocked at this point. Remember the fish you have are going to grow leaving less room for another fish. Right now you may have two tiny clowns but depending on what type of clowns they are they could grow to 6+ inches.
At the very least I advise waiting to see if you can keep your parameters in check long term with your existing bio-load and filtration methods. With that small of water volume things can get very bad very quickly.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yhea i know clowns can be a pain in the neck thats why i wanted a fish that could take care of himself or not be bothered by them maybe a smaller fish wouldnt be seen as a threat by the clowns. If i could i would get a bigger fish on which the clowns couldnt pick on but since im working with limited space thatd not an option. Ive seen smaller wrasses that dont get harassed by other fish including clowns.

True, but they are usually added first and then the clowns added last (not the other way around). I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying the odds are stacked against you. A Pink Streaked Wrasse would probably be the best option if you are set on a wrasse as they are less timid than the Possum varieties (and those are the only wrasses i would recommend for a 15 gallon).

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the clowns mature and if they are well cared for begin to spawn, things will definitely change for the worse. I wouldn't add any other fish if it were me. I know clowns are popular fish but from my limited experience they are ill suited for smaller tanks unless they are the only inhabitants. My black and white ocellaris were great as juvies but when they started to spawn they claimed a full 2/3 of the tank as their own and relentlessly hammered any fish bold enough to enter their space. In a smaller tank that would not have gone well.

I agree with @LetItReef , a barnacle blenny that spends virtually all of its time tucked in its barnacle might be something that they would ignore or would be impervious to them.

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look for a rock dweller like a Barnacle blenny or a Two spot blenny.
They actually have a barnacle blenny at my lfs but whereas in america is like 30 bux here is 60 and i also wanted a more active type of fish

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are definitely fully stocked at this point. Remember the fish you have are going to grow leaving less room for another fish. Right now you may have two tiny clowns but depending on what type of clowns they are they could grow to 6+ inches.
At the very least I advise waiting to see if you can keep your parameters in check long term with your existing bio-load and filtration methods. With that small of water volume things can get very bad very quickly.
Ive had these fish for a few months and the tank has been doing well. Btw for filter i run filter floss carbon and bio filter (not saying this changes anything just forgot to mention it)

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but they are usually added first and then the clowns added last (not the other way around). I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying the odds are stacked against you. A Pink Streaked Wrasse would probably be the best option if you are set on a wrasse as they are less timid than the Possum varieties (and those are the only wrasses i would recommend for a 15 gallon).
Thx i did not know this fish. Yes im aware clowns should be added after but theres not much i can do now [emoji29]

Weedy Sea Dragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dead set on adding another fish? What about something like a pom pom or a porcelain crab?

Back