Last try... what is this stuff?!

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've posted pix of this stuff in the past and never got a clear answer on what it is. I've got a kole tang and a foxface that have absolutely no interest in it (even when cutting back on nori - I gave some to a fellow reefer who has yellow tangs and they destroyed it). I have multiple emeralds that seem to eat it, but not very fast (they've been in there for 2-3 months and have hardly made a dent). I've also got hermits, but they've had the same impact as the emeralds. I've tried limpets, nerites and ceriths as well, but no luck.

My worry is I will have to lower my nutrients below safe levels to beat this stuff; thus I have started manual removal, but it is very difficult to remove (if a tool exists i'll try it, I don't mind manual removal if is actually effective). I have not used vibrant. I have used straight fluconazole twice and it did nothing.

Thoughts?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it is green hair algea. Nothing eats it really but mexican turbo snails and lettuce nudibraches.

My understanding is GHA is almost slimy feeling. This stuff is very coarse and wiry. And I do have about 5 very large Mexican turbos in there as well.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely Wiry turf alage. The base plucks off kinda tough , stays together in a clod at the bottom..
Grows right back via the roots are deep?

PIA.
Only thing I can reccomend would be one of the stronger algaecides like dino X.
Did you use the fluconazole from the pet place or reef flux.
The reef flux is now showing to kill bubble alge in high doses. Also calurpa s And Refugiums.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to take affected rock out? If so you can chip out the affected area as deep as you can with chisel or bone cutters then put peroxide on that spot and let it soak for 10 minutes. Worked for me

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely Wiry turf alage. The base plucks off kinda tough , stays together in a clod at the bottom..
Grows right back via the roots are deep?

PIA.
Only thing I can reccomend would be one of the stronger algaecides like dino X.
Did you use the fluconazole from the pet place or reef flux.
The reef flux is now showing to kill bubble alge in high doses. Also calurpa s And Refugiums.

I'm not sure where i got the fluconazole from; it was just 200 mg capsules of the stuff that i dosed the tank with.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this stuff is affected by peroxide, which may not be a surprise, but the problem is trying to treat the entire tank. One of the most problematic areas is a large shelf rock with many sps colonies, so removing it is out of the question.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where i got the fluconazole from; it was just 200 mg capsules of the stuff that i dosed the tank with.
Last ditch could be the Reef flux then.
I used the other capsules with no effect on my fuge. The flux killed a lot of my macros.

Do look at the Fauna Marin line.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boodlea composita

Potential Control Species:
Fish: Acanthurus achilles, Acanthurus japonicus, Acanthurus leucosternon, Acanthurus lineatus, Acanthurus olivaceus, Acanthurus pyroferusCtenochaetus hawaiiensis, Ctenochaetus striatus, Naso brevirostris, Naso lituratus, , Zebrasoma desjardinii, Zebrasoma flavescens, Zebrasoma scopas, Zebrasoma veliferum, Zebrasoma xanthurum, Siganus corallinus, Siganus guttatus, Siganus magnifica, Siganus vulpinus, Centropyge acanthops, Centropyge argi, Centropyge aurantius, Centropyge bispinosus, Centropyge eibli, Centropyge fisheri, Centropyge flavissima, Centropyge heraldi, Centropyge loricula, Centropyge resplendens, Centropyge shepardi and Centropyge vroliki.

Urchins: Diadema setosum and Mespilia globulus.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boodlea composita

Potential Control Species:
Fish: Acanthurus achilles, Acanthurus japonicus, Acanthurus leucosternon, Acanthurus lineatus, Acanthurus olivaceus, Acanthurus pyroferusCtenochaetus hawaiiensis, Ctenochaetus striatus, Naso brevirostris, Naso lituratus, , Zebrasoma desjardinii, Zebrasoma flavescens, Zebrasoma scopas, Zebrasoma veliferum, Zebrasoma xanthurum, Siganus corallinus, Siganus guttatus, Siganus magnifica, Siganus vulpinus, Centropyge acanthops, Centropyge argi, Centropyge aurantius, Centropyge bispinosus, Centropyge eibli, Centropyge fisheri, Centropyge flavissima, Centropyge heraldi, Centropyge loricula, Centropyge resplendens, Centropyge shepardi and Centropyge vroliki.

Urchins: Diadema setosum and Mespilia globulus.
Nice !
Where did you get that.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back