Latest ICP Test Results (How to Lower Barium?)

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest ICP test back from Triton. Everything is dead on except for a high level of Barium (158ug/l) This has been at a high level for all 3 tests I've done now, so it isn't just a "fluke". Anyone have had success removing it from their tank? Triton recommends using there AL99 PO4 which is an aluminum bases Phosphate remove...HOWEVER, I'm scared to use this for 2 reason. 1) My Phosphates are stable, and do not want to throw this out of wack. 2) I use to have a high level fo Aluminum in my tank (due to using those dumb MarinePure blocks -- which I've now removed). I've gotten the Aluminum down to an acceptable range, but do not want to add something that is going to make it go back up? Thoughts?

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue and I plan on using aluminum based phosphate remover in small amounts in a bag then the same amout of gfo switching them back and forth every week

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not want to use an aluminum based PO4 remover either. In my opinion your aluminum is still high. Not high enough to do any damage probably, but still high.

@Randy Holmes-Farley is probably the best person to ask

In the meantime here is an old RC thread similar to yours

I had 5 blocks of MarinePure in my tank, which was the cause of my Aluminum. On my first ICP tests before I removed all those blocks my Aluminum was up to 294 ug/l ... so getting it down to 23 ug/l is quite the improvement ... lol

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue and I plan on using aluminum based phosphate remover in small amounts in a bag then the same amout of gfo switching them back and forth every week
Problem also is I'm using the Zeovit method so my PO4 are already around .05 without using in PO4 removers. So I'm hesitant to use any kind of PO4 removers, as I feel it could just totally crash my tank.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the full report ...

There is a help tab that tells you exactly what to do from Trident in your report.
I copied and pasted from your actual reports.

Your Barium levels are too high.

Check for possible contamination source. To help you in your search for the source of error, we have listed the most common sources of Barium (sorted in descending order of frequency):

1. Phosphate iron-based (except ROWAphos or PhosBan)
2. Contaminated salts
3. Contaminated trace elements, in particular strontium
4. Dried fishfood

Use AL99 PO4 remover to remove Barium

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a help tab that tells you exactly what to do from Trident in your report.
I copied and pasted from your actual reports.

Your Barium levels are too high.

Check for possible contamination source. To help you in your search for the source of error, we have listed the most common sources of Barium (sorted in descending order of frequency):

1. Phosphate iron-based (except ROWAphos or PhosBan)
2. Contaminated salts
3. Contaminated trace elements, in particular strontium
4. Dried fishfood

Use AL99 PO4 remover to remove Barium
Yea I know. That is what this post is about, as I don't want to use their AL99 PO4 due to already having stable PO4 and higher aluminum in my water.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know. That is what this post is about, as I don't want to use their AL99 PO4 due to already having stable PO4 and higher aluminum in my water.

Barium is a "metal" so I'd look to something like Triton Detox but I dont know specifically if it would bind barium. Might want to ask them?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right - using an Al based phosphate remover will rise the Al to but they are very effective in order to take up barium. I have used Al99 but always mix it 50/50 with a GFO. GfFO lower the Al and Al lower the barium from the GFO. But your problem is your very low PO4. If you run removers in there - not so good. See my graphs below. There has not been any major problems with this aquarium and pictures from it - you can see in my build thread.

screenshot 018.PNG

I can see some options for you -

WC -> backside you will get lower PO4 too.

Use AL99/GFO in a 50 % rate - the same backside - lower PO4.

Both options - you need to handle PO4 with
1) dose pure PO4 salts or
2) feed with reefroids

Sincerely Lasse

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem also is I'm using the Zeovit method so my PO4 are already around .05 without using in PO4 removers. So I'm hesitant to use any kind of PO4 removers, as I feel it could just totally crash my tank.

Bringing up an old thread but my search in high barium showed you and another person mention zeovit and high barium. I am the 3rd. My barium keeps rising and is now at 225.5 µg/l. I tracked back when it started to elevate and it was the same month I put online the zeovit reactor. It is not definitive proof but I am now leaning to the zeolites as being the cause. I just replaced mine with AF Life Bio Fil and will try to update if there is an improvement.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back