0   0   0
Or you get what you (don't) pay for.

Quick version:
  • 20G waterbox cube
  • AI Prime 16HD
  • Hydor Koralia 425gph
  • Black ocellaris female, premium snowflake male
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • 3 peppermint shrimp, one might be a camelback but I haven't gotten a good look yet
  • Snails
  • Hermits
  • Blue tux urchin
  • Mostly dead frogspawn
  • Misc softies: xenia, gsp, some zoas and maybe cloves, hasn't opened yet.
  • Ich.

I keep a look out on craigslist for saltwater related stuff and someone was getting rid of a 20G waterbox (moving out of state). They were asking $alot, I offered to take it if they had no other buyers. Covered in hair, cyano and a couple algaes I don't recognize, they had no other buyers.

So I drove down yesterday, packed it all up, drove it home, set it up and did a first pass at clean up:
0503201025.jpg

Not bad, fish in reasonable health if a bit on the thin side and a couple white spots on the black clown.... Bed time.

This morning, couple more spots. Not a surprise, they were going to be quarantined anyhow. I started digging through the box o' crap that they got rid of and two bottles of reef safe ich "treatments". So clearly they knew. I did the proper application: poured out on the driveway.

Later today, the clowns will be moved into a 5G bucket and we'll be doing the TTM to get them cleaned up. This box will be fallow, and when my QT is freed up in 2 weeks they'll go there for observation. Once the fallow period is over, the tank will be completely reset and will become the coral/invert QT/fishless nano.

Note to self: I have a very understanding wife. Though she's starting to wonder: with 4 tanks, why are they going into a bucket?

OP
OP
L

laurichj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are in the buckets starting their TTM. Since I'm confident it's not velvet (they'd be long dead already) this will work quickly. July 15 and the inverts can come out. Did another WC while I was at it, and the rust brown flatworms became very obvious. I'll get the parameters in check then consider using flatworm exit. Nothing is going into the tank any time soon so not a big concern.

OP
OP
L

laurichj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns (creatively named Midnight and Snowflake) came out of their transfers in good health, they got one more transfer since my QT of 3 other fish didn't line up perfectly. Then yesterday night I noticed a small spot. Initially I was bummed, thinking I must have screwed up the TTM but this morning the spot has grown into a small semi-translucent disk. So it's flukes. Since I don't have prazi on hand, and like to try new things, hypo at 1.010 (15ppt) for 5 days will clear this up.

So, ich, flukes and rust flatworms, plus bubble, cyano and hair. The previous owner got a rough introduction to the hobby. I'm continuing general WC on the 20G for now, siphoning off the flatworms. Mid july I'll run flatworm exit in it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back