Lawnmower Blenny Adoption (Los Angeles)

violetjones

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2021
Messages
109
Reaction score
102
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Started a reef tank two weeks ago. Went to my LFS and the owner convinced me to get a lawnmower blenny.

I told him I had no algae growth and he insisted that lawnmower’s “eat everything”. After doing some research found out they most definitely do not and have no business being in a two week old tank. Just wanted to sell me a fish.

Heartbroken as he is a funny little guy but I cannot stand watching him starve to death in my new tank. If anyone in the Los Angeles area has an established tank and would like to adopt a lawnmower blenny please let me know.

His name is John Deer and he is about 3 inches.

310-427-0478
 
I really enjoy blennys as well. Have you tried feeding seaweed? I never rely on a blenny to eat any algae (seems hit or miss to me) and feed herbivore based food for them. He'd be fine as your tank matures.
 
And if you just want to get rid of a fish because it's not what you thought, no harm in that either. You're trying to re-home it so that's fine.

I wouldn't post phone...just ask anyone interested to dm you here.
 
They truly are amazing fish. .

you will notice kiss marks on the glass which even in new tanks you will get a film on the glass that needs to be scrubbed off almos TV daily .

there will be plenty of food for him . I’d bite keep him
 
I really enjoy blennys as well. Have you tried feeding seaweed? I never rely on a blenny to eat any algae (seems hit or miss to me) and feed herbivore based food for them. He'd be fine as your tank matures.
Ya I have tried the seaweed clips, the seaweed extreme pellets and wafers, frozen mysis shrimp, marine-s pellets...

Just ordered the DKI Masstick tabs to stick to the glass and see if maybe he eats that.

All water parameters are in check. I think he just is a wild fish and doesn’t know how to eat tank foods.

After this I am only buying captive bred fish. The thought that he lived in the ocean for a year and now is in my stupid 55 gallon tank confused staring at pellets makes me so sad.
 
Good luck with the rehome. I'm sure there are some LFS that would be willing to take a donation. I know my LFS in rancho cucamonga has accepted fish from me that were not thriving in my tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new