Lawnmower Blenny Adoption (Los Angeles)

violetjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Started a reef tank two weeks ago. Went to my LFS and the owner convinced me to get a lawnmower blenny.

I told him I had no algae growth and he insisted that lawnmower’s “eat everything”. After doing some research found out they most definitely do not and have no business being in a two week old tank. Just wanted to sell me a fish.

Heartbroken as he is a funny little guy but I cannot stand watching him starve to death in my new tank. If anyone in the Los Angeles area has an established tank and would like to adopt a lawnmower blenny please let me know.

His name is John Deer and he is about 3 inches.

310-427-0478

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy blennys as well. Have you tried feeding seaweed? I never rely on a blenny to eat any algae (seems hit or miss to me) and feed herbivore based food for them. He'd be fine as your tank matures.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you just want to get rid of a fish because it's not what you thought, no harm in that either. You're trying to re-home it so that's fine.

I wouldn't post phone...just ask anyone interested to dm you here.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They truly are amazing fish. .

you will notice kiss marks on the glass which even in new tanks you will get a film on the glass that needs to be scrubbed off almos TV daily .

there will be plenty of food for him . I’d bite keep him

OP
OP
violetjones

violetjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy blennys as well. Have you tried feeding seaweed? I never rely on a blenny to eat any algae (seems hit or miss to me) and feed herbivore based food for them. He'd be fine as your tank matures.
Ya I have tried the seaweed clips, the seaweed extreme pellets and wafers, frozen mysis shrimp, marine-s pellets...

Just ordered the DKI Masstick tabs to stick to the glass and see if maybe he eats that.

All water parameters are in check. I think he just is a wild fish and doesn’t know how to eat tank foods.

After this I am only buying captive bred fish. The thought that he lived in the ocean for a year and now is in my stupid 55 gallon tank confused staring at pellets makes me so sad.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the rehome. I'm sure there are some LFS that would be willing to take a donation. I know my LFS in rancho cucamonga has accepted fish from me that were not thriving in my tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back