Lawnmower Blenny eating SPS???

  • Thread starter Thread starter alvieman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

alvieman

Not FW Safe
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
Location
Bay City, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just watched my Lawnmower bite and peel flesh off of my Valida Tri Color (I am assuming thats what killed the colony, i had been hoping for a "come back" but more and more flesh was comming up missing..)....Not the polyps as it was stressed and didnt have total extension, but it was pickin flesh off the back of it...is this typical of Lawnmowers?? I know many people with them in SPS tanks without issues i've heard of, I keep him only for utility purposes, debating on yanking him if this becomes habit. Anyone else get this??
 
I have had problems with numerous blennies eating my sps. While a lawnmower blenny is not one of the fish I've had problems with I wouldn't put it past him!
 
I have one which has thus far been very well behaved but they are known to on occasion nip at SPS and clam mantles:
http://www.reefpedia.com/index.php/Lawnmower_Blenny
I'm not sure if this behavior is at all related to its food supply but I would try offering him a supplement to what is in the tank especially if your algae growth in your tank is limited.
 
I had a blenny that almost wiped out all my SPS and I had no idea what was happening with the SPS until I cought my blenny red handed. Then I cought him and turned him in to the LFS.
 
I had a lawnmower Blenny, that killed my clam, ate the mantle, and started eating coral polyps, so I caught him, and traded him in. Very cute fish, but unpredictable sometimes!
 
Bicolor blennys are definitely known for nipping SPS and even LPS in my tank, not welcome anymore. But this is the first I've heard of the lawnmower blenny doing that. What kind do you have? There are Caribbean ones and Pacific varieties from what I understand, but not sure about that. Just know they are all over the place here on Miami Beach, maybe they are rock blennys but they are good for eating algae.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new