Hair algae smothering SPS on racks

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone....

Dealing with a pretty stupid (IMO) issue the last two months or so. Acro dominated tank with a Euphyllia garden. The tank has been up a year and a half about.

I put in frag racks with tiles for the acros to grow on. Was pretty smooth sailing for the 8 months they've been in there. Having issues with a piece here and there, but mostly am starting to grow out big acro colonies.

A couple months back I started dosing some products, mainly phyto and oyster feast. I also upped my Iron dosage as it was near undetectable on ICPs and I was concerned about acro tissue health (I know iron plays an important role in filamentous algae...) I noticed some pretty nice results actually (IMO), polyp extension seemed much better in most pieces. However, this was followed by a hair algae plague on the frag tiles that I just haven't been able to kick. The hair algae will just overtake entire tiles and literally smother acros. Now... I think the root causes are that:

1) I inadequately cycled the tiles
2) Dosed food products too quick with inadequate export
3) Potentially iron just fueled the fire

I stopped adding anything to the tank livestock-wise, and halted on all the food products except the fish food I feed (spirulina mysis/brine). I also changed carbon (IDK if this does jack for this issue tbh), started skimming a bit wetter, and began monitoring nutrients a bit closer. I was surprised to find my Nitrates bottoming out with PO4 at like .05-.08 (Hanna). So, also in the last two weeks I have gone back to closely eyeing nutrients and maintaining the "redfield ratio" (now my PO4 measures around .01-.02, nitrates 1-5). Again, I'm very open minded to the fact that none of this is the correct route to tackle this issue.

So where am I at now...? Every 3 days I'm going in with a dang toothbrush and scrubbing the crap out of all my tiles. It's working in the short-term, but it's a pain in the butt and there's gotta be a better way... It's very problematic for small frags/digitatas though, due to their growth pattern, like the filamentous algae seems to be really bothering them. Unfortunately, this algae has already killed a couple acros = /

Tank info:

125G 60" x 24" x 20.5"
2 clowns, 2 tangs, 2 wrasses, diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, midas blenny
2 urchins
I can see lots of different snails (trochus, turbo), but IDK if I need a restock, I have humored this idea.

Parameters:

ICP from 11/15 (I had the issue amidst this test, this is MS Oceamo ICP):
1701353065017.png

1701353034851.png

I'd be surprised if my parameters have since significantly deviated from the above, save Iron (due to higher dosage) and Iodine (due to carbon).

Temp: 78-79
PH: 8.5-8.75

Tried to provide as much info as possible. I'd appreciate any broad thoughts on the situation. Basically, I think my issue is adequately exporting the crap that is fueling all this hair algae. But also shifting the habitat in my tank so the acros can out-compete all that algae.... Seems like the issue is just getting worse. I also always appreciate any broad thoughts or advice on SPS in general given my parameters/actions above.

Picture of the problem (I'll try to take better ones, this was the only one on my phone):
1701353324504.png

Picture of acro section days before hair algae disaster:
1701353352817.png

As you can see - it's not all doom and gloom. I'm just trying to stay on top of issues. Thanks everyone.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my thouights but I'll preface them with this is likely going to need time and patience to resolve. As already mentioned, herbivores, especially ones that will scrap the rock free of the "holdfasts" or base attached to the rocks that is not removed by simple grazing so urchins and maybe larger hermits and sallylightfoot crabs. Your PO4 is low and it is highly likely it is impacting your corals photobiology and their ability to compete with the algae. When you scrub the tiles try siphoning out the algae as quickly as possible or use steel straws to remove it, FYI, it's the DOCs algae release that can cause lots pf problems for corals. Maybe also use H2O2 in a syrenge to lightly applied to where the algae was grwoing to kill the base that's left.

In case you're not familiar with Dissolved Organic Carbon or DOC, here's an excellent introduction to the subject:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super helpful guys. Thanks.

My method for scrubbing the tiles is to remove them from the tank, put them in a separate container with tank water, and scrub all of the material off into that container. Then discard the water in the container completely.

Agreed on the patience thing. Truth be told I am already pretty paranoid about changing anything, if there's anything I learned you got to go slow...

Steel straw solution is fascinating, definitely will research that.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
perhaps increase flow?

this occurred to me as well. first, the areas where the GHA grew had cyano which then turned into the hair algae. i increased flow and let the CUC do the rest. from the pictures it does seem that the algae is centered around a specific zone/area in your tank.

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps increase flow?

this occurred to me as well. first, the areas where the GHA grew had cyano which then turned into the hair algae. i increased flow and let the CUC do the rest. from the pictures it does seem that the algae is centered around a specific zone/area in your tank.
I had the same thought. Odd part is, this is possibly the area where flow is highest in the tank. I have two MP40's whose flow basically intersects at that point. They're 50%+ Gyre, Pulse, Reef crest schedules all day.

My other section of the tank (Euphyllia dominated) is much more lighter flow, and zero hair algae.

Also contributes to my theory that it's just that I failed to cycle the tiles, so the "bad stuff" wants to colonize it. All my old rock that is also exposed to light has no hair algae, it is all just growing on those darn tiles.

Thx for the thoughts.

BTW... On flow overall, I have four MP40s, two on left side, one on right, one on back wall. Then I have one MP10 on the left side too. My return pump is doing 30x water volume or so.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you scrub them clean get a small dish and fill it with hydrogen peroxide to were it’s just deep to soak the frag tiles and let them soak for a couple minutes.. this will cure your problem for a lot longer till you find out the root cause of the algae bloom.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need an army of crabs and snails. 100 packs of Astrea, blue legs and cerith from someplace in the gulf life ReefTopia. You might need a few hundred of each if your tank is larger. Urchins are good for the larger areas and rocks, but they cannot get close to frags.

You will have to scrub or remove the larger sections of algae, but they can handle the rest.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you got an army of CUC, they might want to work the easier algae until they get to frag tiles. If they don't do much right way, just keep the glass clean (all sides the best that you can) so that they have to focus elsewhere... or you might need more crew numbers. Some folks buy like 10 snails and 3 hermits and expect them to kick butt.

I took a 3" frag disc out of my fuge which had hair and some other junk on it. I pulled off the hair that I could with my fingers, put it in my display and within an hour there were a dozen blue legs that cleaned it spic and span. They were like heat seeking algae missiles.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
perhaps increase flow?

People say increase flow. I know in my tank the only place hair algae grows is inside my MP40's and MP60's also inside my return nozzles. Seams like mine acually like flow. I have had good luck with snails and my fish they keep my rocks and glass clean of any Algae.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
jda makes a great point that is often overlooked.........keep your glass clean. Snails always go for the easy algae. You have to make them want to go on those tiles. Make sure they have easy access to your racks. They hate egg crate.........you want your racks to have a smooth base.

Astreas and Money Cowries are my go to best. I would stick with whatever made your acros the happiest as far as food, ect.

Money Cowries are amazing.........you won't see them as they work at night but they will destroy all that algae on the tiles.

Asternia stars help on nooks and crannys where snails or tangs can't get. They can be unsightly when you get a population explosion but that seldom happens. Don't expect good coraline growth either. If you don't have any I'm sure someone local can dig some up from their tank.

Get two variegated urchins............that's all you need. These are the white/pink ones that go for about $6-8 each. Make sure all your corals are glued down good.

None of the above will eat that algae when it's long so you have to toothbrush it down. You'll probably only have to do it once.

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I checked literally every piece of equipment in my tank. I discovered that my fuge light switch got shut off, so it has not been turning on for a month or so I believe (suspiciously co-insides with hair algae plague). I'm guessing I've found the culprit for the sudden drop in export, cause I have a chaeto ball in there. Just a theory, for now the fuge light is back on the reverse schedule....

Thanks again everyone, really helpful advice!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they rely on h2o2 to kill algae, this will not happen in the time to apply a dip.

I like rock and pencil urchins since they stay in the rocks more - this includes frag tiles. Pincushions are great too, but they like to pick up all of my snails and sometimes they never want to wander off of the glass or do the dirty work. The urchins take care of the large stuff and the snails and crabs can handle the smaller patches of things closer to frags. These urchins are long lived and as long as you keep no3 and po4 from getting too high, they are non-fussy workers.

I got 30 baby tuxedos from a breeder and they were awesome since they could get everywhere when they were small, but they grow fast and don't live long. Tux also seem to stay near hair and flberous types of algae.

I have a medium sand bed that keeps my no3 at about .1. I also keep my po4 at 1-5 ppb. Algae could take over my tank if I don't keep an army of consumers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back